Sunday, February 5, 2012

Six More Weeks of Winter Crafts

I love all the crafts my kids do at preschool - well, most of them at least. Many of them are simple, and I think "why didn't I think to do that with them on my own?" We've decided to send Caleb to preschool only two days next year, so I'm keeping a little stash of ideas to do with him on the third day while his big brother is in kindergarten. Isn't this snowman made of paper plates adorable?
The boys love to paint with their feet. I remember Joshua walking into preschool one morning, and Mrs. Zimmerman said "please take off your shoes and socks." He looked at me in wonder - WHAT?!?! He giggled that they were painting with their feet. And here is his snowman craft.
 My favorite, though, was this groundhog craft. The kids decorated a paper cup - on one side, they were asked to draw what a groundhog shadow would look like. They explained that if the groundhog sees his shadow, there would be six more weeks of winter. On the other side of the cup, the children were asked to draw a picture of spring. If the groundhog didn't see his shadow, we'd have an early spring. Then, they poked a hole in the bottom of the paper cup, and inserted a straw with the groundhog they made taped to it. The groundhog was simple round shapes made from construction paper that they glued together. Then Joshua and his classmates could easily twist the groundhog to pop out and either see the side with more winter or early spring. He LOVED it! And he remembered what each side meant. :) :) :)
My parents grew up near Punxatawney, which is known for its famous groundhog Phil. This year, once again, he saw his shadow and went back into his hole for six more weeks of winter.

No comments: