Thursday, February 16, 2012

G-O-D is L-O-V-E

Sunday morning we stayed home from church because Caleb had had a little bout with the runs the night before. I made a big breakfast, trying out our new heart-shaped pancake mold, complete with bacon and Daddy fixed the scrambled eggs. It was a nice morning. We debated on what to do about that evening. I had made reservations at Barny's Grill, a restaurant in Manheim Township that we've wanted to try. I saw that they offered a double-take deal and we got a $30 gift card for $15. Mamaw had agreed to watch the boys for us. But, did we take Caleb to her house? I called her and said that he seemed to be feeling fine, but we didn't want to chance an accident at her house or get her sick. She said the boys could still come, just wear a pull-up on him 'in case.' THANKS, Mamaw! He didn't have an accident, and I was glad we could go have a romantic date.

After dropping off the boys, I asked Shawn if we could take a few minutes and run to Kohls first, even though we were pressed for time. Joshua had been begging to wear Caleb's "Heartbreaker" shirt on Valentine's Day, but after I had washed and dried it, it no longer fit him length-wise. I was hoping to maybe find another one and use a gift card we had to purchase it. Shawn dropped me off at the door, and I ran in and found one last one, in a size 7. I know they run a little small, so I decided to grab it, knowing he could wear it again next year. It was even on sale. Woohoo! When Shawn came in, he saw a couple shirts for himself on sale as well. We grabbed them, checked out and flew to our dinner reservation, knowing we were cutting it close. We got there right on time... only to find that we were the ONLY table in the place. Glad I made reservations! Haaa!!! It was a nice night out. My husband & I talked of the many, many Valentine's Day memories that we have from the last 12 years that we've celebrated them together. I love him!

I felt the love of God in so many ways throughout the week, even leading up to the actual Valentine's Day. Monday was a day that I honestly felt like God had given me more time, similar to how He had done when He moved the sun for Joshua in the Bible. I was able to finish Caleb's hair cut that Shawn had started over the weekend (Caleb can't sit still and Daddy's vision isn't always the best on the neck and ear pieces that are left behind - that said, I'm so thankful that Shawn is willing to cut their hair!!!).

Then, I cleaned all three bathrooms, including all the hair that was plastered on our family bathroom walls, floor, etc from the haircuts (thank God I'm not a hairdresser!). I swept all the floors in the house and mopped, I vacuumed, I finished all the laundry and put it all away (it was starting to pile up clean on the folding table in our laundry room). I even printed out some things for my dad and drank some hot tea with him, read books to the boys, and eventually when they napped I even got a work out in BEFORE going to work that evening. At class since it was an exam night, I was able to finish my Bible study homework. And I had read my Bible earlier in the day and did my own study time that afternoon. The boys were well-behaved and played nicely and I got SO much accomplished. I told my husband that night that I had stabbed that day in the neck! He laughed - then he grabbed his own neck "in case I wanted to stab anything else in the neck." We laughed. But, it was a precious gift from God to get so much accomplished.

As I was driving to school and back, some of the songs that came on reminded me of God's love. One was "Maybe Tomorrow" from Valentines past where I prayed for my husband-to-be. One was "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds from a sermon a long time ago - the song always reminds me of how lucky I am to have Shawn in my life. Others were about God's love and sacrifice for us. In my Bible study time, even though the lessons are on moderation, there was a note about how much the author misses her husband (who lost his battle with cancer) and how much God loves us. It was just part of the day to hear over and over again from the Lord how much He lavishes His love and grace on us. While we were still sinners and far from Him, He brought us near by shedding His own blood. What a gift! How undeserving we are!

And when I think about being undeserving, I remember how amazing my husband is and how undeserving I am to have him. He works so hard at work, he works so hard at home, he plays with the kids, he helps me do projects, he is handy, he is smart, he is kind and compassionate, he is thrifty and good at deals, he is technologically savvy, he is athletic, he is fun to be with, he has a great sense of humor... he is good at everything and yet humble and gracious. I feel half the time like I have two left feet, yet this amazing man chooses to spend his life and time with me. It's another gift from God that I simply have a hard time comprehending. Instead, I say thank you. I say it to God and to Shawn. Daily.

One of Shawn's favorites from the boys' "Hide 'em in your hearts" CD is G-O-D is L-O-V-E. How true!

No comments: