Sunday, February 19, 2012

Happy 65-month birthday, Joshua!

Joshua turned 65 months on Saturday, February 18. We spent the morning at Mamaw's creating snowmen lights, which I will write about separately. :) :) :)

Lately Joshua has seemed to have an overabundance of energy. At times, this makes him seem a bit rough when I think it's just that he needs to get out. I have SO appreciated this milder winter because we are able to get outside more often than in years past. Joshua loves to gives hugs and kisses, but at times they aren't as gentle as they could be because he comes at you with such force. Still, his personality is gentle and sweet so we realize that he means well even if it's an aggressive hug that almost knocks us over.

On his valentine from his preschool teacher, Mrs. Zimmerman wrote that she appreciates how well Joshua listens at circle time and how kind he is to other children. Oh, how I appreciate these things about my Bean as well! He is truly a kind soul. He has the sweetness of his Daddy. He truly loves others, wants to help, and treats everyone with a kind and gentle heart.

I'm also glad that Joshua is well-behaved at school and enjoys going to class and learning new things. I'm not sure that everything comes easily to him, but he likes learning and I think that takes you far in life if you keep working and don't give up!
Here is one of Joshua's recent preschool crafts. Don't you just love the Bean teeth? It literally made me laugh and grossed me out all at the same time. Joshua's tooth is SO loose. It is hanging on barely, and while I tell him to go ahead and wiggle it, Daddy says "keep your hands off your teeth." I don't know which is right. Loose teeth really skeeve Shawn out, worse than me even. We have Joshua's present from the tooth fairy here ready to go for when it does finally fall out. Right now, it's there by a thread and I'm hoping he doesn't lose it at school. What do people do with the teeth? I think I'll throw them away. My sister's mother-in-law gave her all her husband's baby teeth when they got married. YUCK!!! So, why keep them? I love the precious memories, but I'm slowly learning not to keep "stuff" and hopefully just have pictures and memories of times shared together.
I've asked Joshua if he'll follow God with his whole heart, mind, body and strength. If he'll hold onto Jesus, then I think that he'll grow up just fine. I tell him daily that I think he's a really good person and will be a great man some day, just like his daddy. He beams when I say this, and I want  him to know how true it is. Already at the age of five years and five months, I can see such amazing character in him! And with his rough start to life and all that he's endured, I believe God has a special purpose and plan for just him that he is to fulfill. I know he has a legacy to be created!

The other night Joshua hadn't napped (and I'm realizing he must be going through a growth spurt that once again he seems like he needs more sleep - that, and his pants are becoming shorter rather than longer!). By evening after not taking an afternoon snooze, he had had it. I could sense his utter exhaustion along with his frustration. He was in full fit mode, something we haven't seen in awhile. Both Shawn & I were at our wits end, but I said that I would like to take him for a little bit. I picked up my big boy, kicking and screaming, and forced him to sit with me in the rocking chair in Ryan's room. I just read in Proverbs 25:20 "Like one who takes away a garment on a cold day, or like vinegar poured on a wound, is one who sings songs to a heavy heart." There is some distinct truth in that verse! So, I asked the Bean if I could tell him a story. He was still not happy to be forced to sit with me, but I told him it was that or straight to bed. He gave in, and I told him the story of the mama girl who had a personality with major highs and major lows. When the sun was shining and she felt happy, she could conquer the world! When she felt angry, she couldn't to get rid of it. She wanted to - she didn't like feeling upset, but there were times that it just wouldn't go away! Then she gave birth to a son, who was handsome like his daddy but had her personality. She understood that there were times that her little man got angry and didn't mean to cause a ruckus, but he couldn't get rid of his anger on his own. It's no fun to feel so upset! I know! I explained that the Bible tells us in Philippians 4:8 to think about "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." I told him that this is what helps me to get out of a funk. So, I asked him if he likes to ride bike. He was started to come around and said "sometimes." Do you like to play outside? Yes! Do you love to play with Daddy? Yes! Some of the questions he answered no to, but I asked him to think about things he enjoys, activities he's thankful for, things that are good in his life. We continued to rock, and I felt his tension begin to ease. I asked him if he'd like me to sing to him, and he picked a song. When we went back into the office to play afterward, he was still a little uptight but I'm hoping he remembers our talk. There will be times that he feels one way or another, but we must choose what to think about and spend our time on and hopefully not sin in our anger!

How I love my precious oldest son! How he reminds me of myself! How often our stubborn wills make us butt heads! And yet, he will often tell me how much he loves his mama girl, and how I'm one of his best friends (something I tell each of my kids). They are so special to me! How I hope that they grow in wisdom as they continue to grow in stature.

Happy 65-month birthday, Joshua! :)

No comments: