Friday, February 17, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012

Valentine's Day wasn't always a favorite of mine. I can remember years growing up that my friends had boyfriends and I didn't. But, I remember one distinct Valentine's Day when I was 14 where I decided that I was just going to enjoy the day for what it was - a day to feel loved and love on others. Love, after all, is a gift from God - not just a "romantic" feeling. I remember giving cards to friends and getting a TON of stickers. One friend had 'funny' stickers and it was a huge heart but said "NOBODY LOVES ME." I laughed and scratched out the "NOBODY" and wrote "EVERYBODY" and proudly wore it on my red turtleneck sweater and jumper dress. And when I got out of the 'mood' that lonely people were in and decided to just have a fun day, it really was a FUN day!
I think because I did feel like Charlie Brown on occasion, I can appreciate all the more how special God's love is and how blessed I am to be in love. I don't take it for granted! And I want to make sure that my boys feel especially loved, as well as my husband on this day and always.
I saw an idea on Pinterest to make heart shaped cinnamon rolls. So, I bought the tube and had it ready. Then I set my alarm for 6 AM, just in case the boys didn't wake us early. I didn't realize that my clock time was 12 hours off (registering PM rather than AM) BUT I woke up at 5:45 AM and when I went to re-set my alarm to go to 6:15, I realized the mistake and just decided to get up. I started out with my devotions, I already had the boys' clothes picked out and our school/Bible study things ready, so I got a good jump start on the day. The cinnamon rolls were easier to make than I even thought, and they tasted delicious. I set the table and asked Shawn if he had time to eat as a family before heading to work, and he took the time to sit with us. :) :) :) Since he had shaved for our date the evening before, he had a little extra time that morning.



For the BOYS

I bought little gifts for the boys to tell them how much we love them. First, I saw a little Toy Story and Cars2 craft (for $1) at the craft store. So, I picked them up and put them back until Valentine's Day. Then I saw little books on their pre-school's book order form that looked cute. One was "I Love My Mommy" and then two books in one on going to bed and brushing their teeth. I spent a total of $4 on the books, and again I put them up when they came in for this special day.
 
Then, when we read "Froggy's First Kiss" over and over again and Froggy's mommy gave him candy kisses for Valentine's Day, Joshua asked me if I would give him candy kisses. How could I resist? I bought one bag and split them into little baggies for Joshua, Caleb and Daddy (sorry, Ryan, you're too little!).
 
I also had bought a book of Valentine's stickers for $1, and I split them between the boys' valentine crafts and putting one page in each of their gift bags to decorate with as they wished. Finally, I bought matching little bags at the dollar store and little cards, and on my way home from Millersville on Monday night, I stopped and bought them each a helium balloon. Joshua picked the "Happy Valentine's Day" heart, and Caleb picked the froggy that said "I Love You!" That left Ryan with the other froggy balloon, which I attached to his high chair. He loves to look at it! I didn't get him any other gifts because he doesn't really know the difference yet, but I love him just as much as his brothers! :) :) :)
I had their bags and balloons waiting for them when they came downstairs Valentine's Day morning. :) :) :)


For the Marrieds
I was trying to think of ways to say I love you to my incredible husband this year. He's so romantic, and I struggle to know what a good gift is to say how much he means to me. We had decided that we weren't giving gifts this year to save money, but I decided to try to think of some new ways to show him how much I care. His love to me is truly a gift!
  • I wrote on the wall of his shower with a kiddo bathtub crayon telling him how amazing I think he is.
  • I cleaned the entire house, scrubbing, mopping, vacuuming and doing laundry the day before Valentine's Day. This is a love gift to our entire family as I work hard to keep things nice for them. They may not appreciate it as much as I do since I love things to be clean, but I still think of them as I do it and hope that they realize this is a way that I serve them.
  • I found a coupon for Dunkin Donuts that he passes on his way to work. It was a .99 bagel, so I clipped it and put a paper clip with a buck and a nickel to it and a note telling him how much I love him. I did that the day before Valentine's Day to spread the gifts and thoughts throughout the week.
  • I ordered him a free customized card with a picture of us on it. It turned out nice, and he seemed impressed at the custom store-bought card.
  • I clipped another coupon for Turkey Hill for their jumbo hot dog, but here it's the cheesy bratwurst he likes. Either way, it had a note and a little money to go get "comfort food" when he desires it.
  • I bought a package of peanut M&M's (his favorite, and something I don't like in the least) and gave them to him with another note.
  • I found a pair of jeans in a size he's wanted but we've been unable to find - an "in between" size for normal stores - on sale and I used a gift card to buy them.
  • I got him a coupon for a free drink at Starbucks.
  • I gave him a picture of me & the kiddos and put it in a frame that he could take to work or leave behind, whichever he wanted.
  • I snuck a Snickers candy bar into his coat pocket. 
  • I wrote "I love you, Shawn!" in sidewalk chalk, hoping he'd see it when he got home from work.
  • I made heart-shaped breakfasts.
  • I also created a list of things I thought he'd appreciate and have been thinking of ways to execute them.
BUT...
No matter how much I try, I feel like his sweetness always tops mine. He had two dozen BEAUTIFUL red roses delivered. He insisted on taking me to my favorite restaurant Valentine's Day night, even though I had suggested we try the burger place he's been wanting to go. He said it wasn't romantic enough for him, so I made reservations for my favorite spot Carabba's right down the road.
He had a very sweet card for me, along with disposable coffee cups with lids (LOVE them!), Diet Sprite (which I had been in the mood for, and he remembered and picked some up), Andes chocolate mints (one of my favorite things!), and a special dessert for us to share when we got home.  He also bought a new snack for me based on something I order at restaurants to try, which we made the following night with our dinner. He is SO thoughtful!
Our babysitter called that afternoon, and I feared maybe our plans weren't going to work out. Instead, she was just confirming the time, and I asked her to come a little earlier so we could be on time to our reservation. She also suggested that we leave Ryan behind, assuring me that she could handle all three boys together. I agreed that he was probably old enough, especially since we were going right down the street. It was a very thoughtful offer. She is a sweet girl. I made a pizza for her and the kids to eat for dinner, and we gave her a valentine, telling her she was a "SUPER" babysitter. :)
When we arrived at Carabba's, the place was packed. I told them I had called ahead, and they gave me a pager. I feared the worst, but within minutes we were paged that our table was ready. AND, it wasn't just any table, it was the perfect table. It was in the back corner away from the door and because it was in the corner, we were able to sit next to each other rather than across from each other simply by design. It made more sense to be close than further apart. We said how lucky we were to get this spot, but I realize it wasn't luck but BLESSING! It was great! :) We had excellent service and we were in and out of there within an hour, while some folks we had went in after were still waiting for a table. I was SO thankful I had made reservations!
On the way home, Shawn stopped and pumped gas for me because I was running low. He also does romantic things like opening my car door, etc. It was nice just to hold hands and spend time talking about each other and how wonderful God has made our marriage. Shawn recently posted a saying online that made me think. It said "If the grass looks greener in someone else's yard, you haven't spent enough time taking care of your own." How true is that? He does such a great job at caring for us!!! I hope we reflect it back to him!
 

As we were heading home, driving up the street across from ours, we saw the most unique lighting display on both sides of the sidewalks. They were red bags filled with what I'm assuming was tea light candles, and the entire neighborhood glowed like it was in love. I was in awe as it all lead to one house. As I took our babysitter home that night, she said that it was a friend of hers making a display for his MOM. He had knocked on all the neighbors' houses to make sure he could put candles on the sidewalk in front of their houses. How sweet is that? I loved it! Our neighborhood is so nice. I wished I would have snapped a picture, but I don't know that you would have really gotten the effect. It was neat.

When I got home, the table was decked out with Valentine's Day cupcakes for the boys to have and a surprise dessert for us to split. He is so thoughtful! I would say the only thing that could have made the evening better was if Shawn wouldn't have had a cold. But, he didn't complain. I just felt bad that he was schnarky. :( :( :( We didn't get any pictures of us from the evening, which I had hoped to do but then realized that Shawn may not be feeling up to it. Can you tell someone else was done with pictures in the photo below? ;-)
 
From Above
The love didn't end there. When we were opening our mail, I had a very thoughtful card from Maria, my contact at Water Street Ministries, telling how much she appreciates my service there. It was very nice. I love serving, and it's nice to get notes of appreciation when I feel so blessed to be able to give in this way in the first place.
 

Then, on Wednesday when both boys were in preschool (Caleb having his little party where we handed out his valentines and he got some), I had been invited to a volunteer appreciation breakfast at the preschool with other moms who give of their time throughout the year. I had feared it may be a 'sales pitch' to give more, but it was just a very sweet 'thank you' breakfast where I got to talk to other moms who also volunteer and have young children. Beyond the excellent food that the teachers donated, the preschool gave us a thank you gift of candy, and a centerpiece balloon to take home with us. I chatted with the other women about their churches and Bible studies, kids and recipes and all sorts of things while Ryan was AMAZING!
 
The older boys LOVED opening their bags of valentines from their classmates. (Wasn't this hand-made bag for collecting valentines adorable?) Many of Joshua's valentines came with candy, and he was so adorable as he shared much of it with Caleb. He ate a heart-shaped lollipop, and Caleb didn't have one so he gave him his package of M&M's. How thoughtful is that?!?! I love when brothers share and are sweet to each other. It was a really great week for that! We could definitely feel the love in this house!

All around it was a great start to the week. While I hear it said that Valentine's Day is a "hallmark-created holiday" made to sell more cards & flowers and that people should express their love throughout the year, I'm glad for a day when we pause and think about those people who we love most in this world and where love comes from. It's important to choose to think about how God is love, how He loved us first, how He gives us people in our lives that we can show love to. It's not about receiving, but it's about expressing love. It was fun to think of ideas for the boys and for their Daddy. It was also nice to receive little Valentines for the boys (thanks Mom, Mamaw & Papaw!) and have them enjoy some fun parties at school. If I had one "grown-up" wish, it would be that everyone would have a friend and everyone would feel love and have someone to love - maybe not necessarily romantically but true unconditional love from another human being. If you have that, you have a lot to be thankful for, even on a romantic holiday!

I am thankful for LOVE! For Shawn! For our kids! For our families! For love from above! For friends and parties and gifts and thoughtfulness! We are all blessed!

    No comments: