Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Winter Picnic

We actually did have a picnic of sorts almost two weeks ago now. We had a coupon for take-out, and when we brought it home, Joshua started having an asthma attack, so we immediately gave him a breathing treatment. Since I wanted to be near him and listen to him, I suggested we sit on the floor next to him for awhile. Soon he was back to his normal self, and I said "let's just stay here and make it a picnic!" Thankfully, my husband is easygoing and gives into my crazy ideas sometimes. We actually had fun, and I think the boys thought it was silly that we were eating dinner on the floor with napkins as a family. It was a regular indoor winter picnic!

But, the pictures aren't of our winter picnic. They're of the play-doh picnic we made together! Last Wednesday we got about a foot of snow (some folks said nine inches and some folks said 14 inches - split the difference and it was roughly a foot). Daddy worked from home at my suggestion due to the crazy conditions, and I tried to keep the boys from being all over their beloved Dad (which is no easy task!). After breakfast, I decided to break out the play-doh, and we had some new pieces to play with.
Someone had gotten Caleb a picnic bucket with different shapes and colors of play doh. We also still had our scissors and "spaghetti-maker" along with the rolling pin and other shapes from before. So, we went to town making some different 'food' items. You'll see below two types of pretzel (one of which I made before realizing there was a pretzel-shaper in the bucket), a chocolate chip cookie, a slice of bread, two different strawberries, bananas, an apple, a pear and a mystery shape that I'm going to guess is supposed to be meat.
Caleb highly enjoyed rolling the play-doh into balls and cutting it.

Joshua especially liked the string maker, which we've used for hair, spaghetti and all sorts of different things. He also liked rolling the play doh into balls in his hands.
It was a fun picnic, even though we didn't eat any of it! Eventually, we cleaned it all up and put it away for another special day.

No comments: