Sunday, February 13, 2011

Save the Date

On Thursday, February 10, I had another check-up at the OBGYN for our third son. It was also Joshua's preschool Valentine's Day party, so when I dropped him off at school, I also helped him find the names of each child in the class and match them with the Valentines we had bought (they were cute - little 'Cars' themed valentines with a pencil that we attached). Joshua wrote his name on every single valentine, and I noticed at the end when his hand got tired, he simply switched to his right hand and he wrote just as well with it as he did the left. Strange! But I guess it's actually normal.

Once we were done handing out valentines (and Joshua was THRILLED to have the party at preschool and bring home all the little valentines and candy), Caleb & I rushed to the doctor's office. I arrived five minutes early and they took me right back... only to wait a full hour before seeing a doctor. At the half hour mark, the nurse came in and apologized, letting me know that Dr. Conslato had surgery that morning but they expected her back any minute. After another half hour went by, the nurse came back in and told me that Dr. Jones would come see me since Dr. Conslato still hadn't arrived. Dr. Jones was very apologetic and sweet, and I understand that that's part of going to a small office. If someone has an emergency, everyone else gets bumped. Thankfully, Caleb was an angel the entire time! Even the nurse commented on how good he was (since her desk was right outside our door). He really was well-behaved, and we had fun playing even though it's a TINY room.

Dr. Jones said my blood pressure and weight look good, and the baby's heartbeat sounds good. She told me that she has three sons and is thrilled with her family. I smiled. We are excited for our next boy as well. She gave me the lab paperwork to get my glucose test done and then told me to go see Loretta to schedule my c-section. We waited for a couple minutes, and then we went into the nurse/office manager's office. She gave me the date of Friday, June 3, for my c-section. I requested Dr. Conslato who had delivered my first two boys, and she said she didn't know which doctor would be on the schedule that day. If Dr. Conslato wasn't working, we could push back the c-section to the following Tuesday, but we could decide that based on the schedule. She made a note of my request. Now I'm praying that the doctor is scheduled for that day! Please pray with me! Also pray that we can find folks to watch our other boys while Shawn's helping me in the hospital. With a c-section, I can barely move, and I remember with Caleb it was vital that he was there to change the baby's diapers and hand him to me to get fed until I was able to function. I'm praying that will all fall into place as well. I am excited that our little guy will arrive two days before my birthday if all goes as planned!

By the way, the picture above is 'borrowed' from facebook of one of my friend's newborns. I saw it and thought "how precious!" I can't believe we'll soon be meeting our little guy. Here's the baby's development the last couple weeks:

WEEK 22
Fetal Development: The baby is probably close to a pound and very thin but very developed. The eyelids and eyebrows are now formed, and the brain begins rapid growth. If your baby is a boy, his testes have begun their descent from the pelvis to the scrotum. Maternal Changes: Your uterus is nearly an inch above your navel. You'll probably be gaining weight more steadily now as your baby continues to fill out. The extra weight may begin to take its toll on your back. Wear low heeled shoes (flat shoes can strain your back as much as high heeled shoes) and avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time. When you sit, use a footstool to raise your knees higher than your hips.

WEEK 23
Fetal Development: If born now, your baby has a chance for survival Let's hope, however, that the baby stays put for several more weeks!Your baby weighs about a pound now! The body is becoming better proportioned each day, and the bones of the middle ear begin to harden. Maternal Changes: If you're having some wild mood swingsdon't fret. They're normal even if they don't feel normal. Try to be good to yourself when you're feeling blue.Your baby still has room to move around so you're probably feeling kicks, jabs, flips and flops. You may even see your abdomen move. Your uterus is about 1 1/2 inches above your belly button.

WEEK 24
The baby gains about 6 ounces this week as the body begins to fill out. This weight is in muscle, bone mass and the growing organs and tissues. The weight could top 1 1/3 pounds by the end of the week. Maternal Changes: Between weeks 24 and 28, your care provider may order a glucose tolerance test to determine if you have gestational diabetes. Your uterus is 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the navel

No comments: