Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy 31-month birthday, Caleb Luke!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011, Caleb turned 31-months old. The above picture was taken the Friday night before. Daddy spiked his hair after his bath (can you tell my boys need haircuts?!?!) and I loved the picture of him and also of the damage he had done to our office beforehand. He can rip up a clean room in minutes! Don't let those big blue innocent eyes fool you! While Joshua likes things neat, clean and orderly, Caleb doesn't seem to mind a mess or chaos. They are so different! Just like their Daddy and me.
Caleb is working on potty training right now. I haven't been as consistent as I'd like to be because I don't want to keep him in big boy undies when we leave the house. He isn't that far along with training yet, and I really don't want a mess. But, he's doing well when we're at home on the days we stick with him. He's had his fair share of accidents, but I know that's all part of the process.
My favorite thing that Caleb does is singing. He knows the words to many songs, but he often sings the "God song." I tell you, there is nothing cuter than hearing his little voice sing out "Oh God, you are my God, and I will ever praise you. I will seek you in the morning and learn to walk in your ways. And step by step you'll lead me, and I will follow you all of my days." He also loves to sing the "Sunshine" song and he'll even replace certain parts with names just like his mama does. This morning he sang to me "You'll never know, Mama, how much I love you. Please don't take Caleb's sunshine away." (When I sing it to him, I reverse these, of course!) I absolutely love to hear him sing.
I realized that Caleb not only knows his colors, shapes and letters, but he also recognizes numbers. He's right there with Joshua looking at the clock to tell us the time. It's so amazing what they can learn so young! He knows both his mommy and daddy's names, and I'm starting to work with him on his address and phone number (why not?). We're also starting to write. He can write the letter "C" and "L" and almost has down a lowercase 'a.' He likes the tracing books if I do it with him. He also loves when we draw flowers together on his doodle-pro. I call the petals "floopies" as we draw, and this cracks him up. So we've been drawing lots of those lately.
He still loves books, and he also has enjoyed watching "Dinosaur Train" with his big brother. His favorite is Veggie Tales now, though, I would guess. He also will interact with the one Dora the Explorer video we have (which he watched while I was at the doctor's office). 
Caleb's favorite expression is "I do it myself!" Sometimes it drives me crazy, but it also impresses me how much he really can do himself. He can undress and re-dress himself (this morning he also unbuttoned his own PJ shirt) with little help. He always says 'the tag goes by the bum' to remind himself of which way the pants go on. He also can put on his own shoes, occasionally putting them on backwards which we always fix. While his older brother typically wants us to do things for him, Caleb likes being more independent.
Caleb is very sharp and has a very sweet voice. He still likes to explore, though, and I think it would be impossible for him to sit still. He likes to run and jump and play. School will be interesting for him! We signed him up for preschool next year to see how it goes. I think he'll enjoy it immensely. He's much more the type to dive right in than be nervous. He enjoys his class at church and seems to have fun when I go to Study 'n Share and drop him off in his classroom.
Caleb's favorite foods are peanut butter & jelly, chicken nuggets, blueberries, grapes, peas, macaroni & cheese, applesauce and goldfish. He also likes small pieces of ham, bread, watermelon, strawberries and pizza. His favorite type of pizza is actually with alfredo sauce. He LOVES it! He prefers water to juice, milk to water, and chocolate milk above just about anything else.

My littlest guy loves to be tickled. He asks us to gently tickle his belly or back as he just smiles away. You can see him getting goosebumps and he thinks this is a riot. He is such a silly little guy! He loves one-on-one time and will ask to be up more often lately. I enjoy spending time with him, as does his Daddy and big brother. We are very blessed by our little-getting-so-big Caleb Luke! Happy 31-month birthday, buddy!

No comments: