Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sous Chef Caleb Luke

Today there was a 100% chance of rain, according to weather.com. And rain it did! It's cold and pouring.
So, after we dropped Joshua off at preschool, I asked Caleb if he'd like to help me bake something. He said sure. So, I looked in our pantry and found a chocolate cake mix and some pecan coconut frosting. It didn't necessarily sound all that appetizing, but the idea of baking sounded like fun. So, why not since we had it?
The first thing we did was get on Joshua's chef hat and apron (someday Caleb will need his own!). Since the Bean wasn't here, I knew it wouldn't be a problem. He also got his stool while I got all the items we'd need.
First thing Caleb did was pour the cake mix into the bowl.
And he smiled as he didn't get any on the counter top. Great job, buddy! In the meantime, I preheated the oven.
Next, Caleb took the pre-measured water and poured it into the mix. I coated the bottom of our 13 x 9 pan with non-stick spray.
Next we dumped in the measured oil.
And finally, he helped me with the eggs that I cracked into a separate bowl.
Then we mixed everything together with the blender.
After two minutes, it was finished!
In keeping with traditions from my family, I allowed him to lick one beater now that we were completely finished with it. [I poured the mixture into the baking pan and stuck it into the oven.]
Caleb called it his chocolate lollipop. I love that he gave himself a little mustache.
Unfortunately, he also got some on the apron. Doh! When the cake was finished, we let it cool before adding the icing. We'll treat Daddy to some cake tonight with our dinner. Hopefully he enjoys it! We had fun making it either way.

No comments: