Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Butcher, the Baker, the Candlestick Maker

Monday was a rainy, dreary day. It reminded me of the Carpenter's song "Rainy days and Mondays always get me down." But, I wasn't feeling down at all. We started the day by doing laundry and starting some house work. Then, we met my friend Kelley and her son Lincoln (who's six months old) for lunch at Q'doba at the mall. Kelley and I worked together at Masterpiece, and we used to go there for lunch before I was expecting Joshua. It's one of her favorite restaurants. We had a fun time catching up on life. Joshua LOVES babies, and he liked to entertain little Lincoln. He sang him the ABC song, and he made silly faces at the baby. He started with his "happy" face, which made the baby grin from ear-to-ear. Then he said, "this is my piggy face" and he snorted so loudly sucking in air through his nose that Lincoln jumped a mile. Kelley and I howled. I still crack up thinking about it. Joshua is a silly goose. He laughed, and then so did a startled Lincoln. Caleb, on the other hand, wasn't too sure about the baby, but he enjoyed talking to Miss Kelley. It was a fun lunch.
When we got home, the boys took a nap. After they woke up, I was in the mood to bake. Why? Because it was rainy! I didn't really want to eat anything, but just turning on the oven sounded good. So, I got out a chocolate chip brownie mix and told the boys to grab their stools. I put Joshua's chef hat, apron and mits on that Mamaw gave him for his birthday (thanks, Mom!) and we washed their hands good before getting started.
Pretty soon, both boys were helping me and my clean kitchen was becoming a mess. But, that was okay. We were having fun!
They took an hour to cook in the oven, so we ate dinner as a family and then later after the boys were in their jammies, we let them come down for a snack to try their creation. Caleb thought it was amazing!
Joshua wasn't thrilled that we told him he wasn't allowed to watch a movie before bed. He also didn't finish his treat - he's not much for sweets. But, he loves to help cook or bake!

No comments: