Monday, October 11, 2010

Autumn Sunshine

Thursday of last week was simply beautiful. I dropped of Joshua at preschool, came home and played "crazy creatures" with Caleb (where you snap together these little pieces to make little creatures - he loved it!) and then called Grandpa Georgia to offer him a piece of my homemade apple pie. He said yes, and came right over. We both enjoyed some pie while Caleb snacked on crackers and grapes (his choice), and soon enough it was time to pick up the Bean from preschool. I left with plenty of time to get there, but I didn't realize that some ahem flagger would stink and his job and make us wait 13 minutes. I kid you not, at the 13 minute mark of sitting, I put my window down as a construction worker was walking by and I told him that I was now late to pick up my son at preschool. Was the wait going to be more than 15 minutes because if so, I needed to turn around and find an alternative route. He motioned to the guy, and after a couple more minutes passed, we FINALLY were given the okay to start moving. I was seriously annoyed as I pulled into the parking lot late. Thankfully, I was only the second-to-last mom picking up for Joshua's class. Mrs. Dearborn told me that Joshua is all smiles all day long. She commented on how happy he always is. It made me smile. I'm thankful that he's enjoying preschool. In fact, he asked to go back both Friday and Saturday. But, I'd rather that than him still dreading to go, which was how he was in the beginning of the year.
Since it was a gorgeous day, I asked Grandpa if he'd mind sitting with the boys while they ate their lunch that I had made them while I went for a jog to the park. I had turned off my alarm that morning when it rang, and I hadn't exercised yet. He said sure. Woohoo! I LOVED the run to the park where the bridge is finally finished and it's a straight shot. There was nothing better than getting outside on this gorgeous day. When I got back, my sister and her boys had stopped in. She had dropped off Emma at kindergarten behind our house and saw Grandpa Georgia and the boys outside playing. We chatted outside for awhile before I needed to get the boys to bed so I could get ready for class that night. Class went well, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to be there.
These pictures are from Florida at the bass pro shop. Isn't Caleb in a coon hat simply adorable?
This change in seasons has also made me want to cook, which is rare (not the cooking but the actual desire to do so). I was in the mood for a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup, but I doctored them both up. Instead of plain grilled cheese, I started with whole grain bread, then added one slice of American cheese followed by a little bit of cheddar and topped it off with some crumbled blue cheese that melted... yum! Then instead of just plain tomato soup, I mixed in a can of diced tomatoes, some tortellini noodles, and some Italian seasoning and it was DELICIOUS! While I don't claim to be a good cook, I don't think I would have gotten a better lunch if I was at a four-star restaurant. All week I've been cooking and organizing my cupboards. Hopefully the motivation continues!
The boys and I have also gone on plenty of nature walks. We look for bunnies, puppies and squirrels, along with cool leaves, acorns, pumpkins and mums at this time of year. It's fun to see what they discover. Both boys have been cracking us up with their expressions lately, too, but I should write them down. I always think "oh, I'll remember that one to post" but then another one comes along and my brain doesn't keep them all in. I feel like we laugh most of the day. They are good boys!

No comments: