Sunday, October 3, 2010

Flying High 'Cause We're Flying Home

Wednesday morning we didn't workout before we left as we had planned. Instead, we took our time packing our stuff and making sure we had plenty of time at the airport. That was my request of Shawn since last time we literally RAN to get onto our plane, boarding last and barely making it. I'll admit - since he'll be amused - that flying mid-day, mid-week, we didn't need as much cushion room as we left ourselves, but that's okay. I'd much rather that than chaos.
The flight wasn't anywhere close to full, so no one sat next to Joshua or Caleb this time. Joshua asked me where his 'friend' was from the last flight. Then he told me he was all done with flying and didn't want to go in the air anymore - he was afraid we'd fall. So, we said prayers once again for both safety and peace. Then he fell asleep. Literally one minute afraid, the next minute OUT! God is so good. Caleb didn't sleep at all on the plane, but he was amused. Once it was safe, Daddy put on a DVD for him to watch. We had a TON of free drink coupons and joked about using them all on one flight, right then and there. But, we didn't. Instead we enjoyed our airplane shaped crackers and peanuts.
The flight landed early in Baltimore, which we were thrilled about. Only, once we landed there was no where for the plane to go. So, we waited. And waited. And waited. Meanwhile, the fasten seat belt signs were on and we were told not to get up. But, we had no idea how long we'd be there. Joshua said on the descent that he had to go potty, but we told him to wait, we'd land soon enough. Then we were waiting at the airport for what felt like an eternity. His urgent potty need brought tears eventually, which turned to screams. I thought about getting up and just taking him, but I wasn't sure when we'd start moving. Thankfully, as I began to pray for this little guy and the timing, God answered our prayers and the plane in our spot left and we pulled up to the gate. The minute we were there, Daddy rushed the Bean back to the potty. As we stood up to get our bags, several women told me how bad they felt for our little guy. Me, too. When he got back, I asked him if he felt better. Then I suggested that he not panic next time - not as many tears were needed; we would always do our best to help him as we could. He agreed and gave me a big hug. Then we held hands as we de-boarded the plane. A woman grabbed my arm after we got off, much to my surprise. (I guess she was trying to get my attention and I didn't hear her - that's no surprise!). She said that she just wanted to let me know that she thought I handled the situation well and how impressed she was. She thought it was good to take care of him first and then talk about how we could do better next time with less tears. I smiled at her and she walked away. In my women's Bible study, last week there was a section about blessing others. I took this to heart. Would I have stopped someone to tell them that I thought they did a good job? I doubt it. I've thought recently about things that have impressed me, and I've vocalized that less than a quarter of the time. But, it did make me feel good that she did because I often feel like I have no idea what to do when it comes to parenting. I know that my 'reward' is in how the kids grow up, but it's nice to hear something positive along the way. I need to remember to bless others audibly that they know what I'm thinking.
That wasn't the last of our commotion that day. We got our bags and saw the Express bus pulling up. Yeah - we could catch it immediately. In our excitement, we got the boys a bit riled up. They weren't being bad whatsoever, but they were a little loud in their joy of going home. An old couple was sitting in the front and gruffly yelled at them to keep it down (and I don't even think they were all that loud, honestly). I could have spit nails, but I didn't say anything. When Shawn got on (he had went out for the other suitcase and didn't hear the exchange), Joshua told him that "that old lady was cross at me!" I cracked up. I couldn't help it. I whispered to him that sometimes the older you get, the crosser you become. And that was that. I didn't say anything to them and didn't need to. I don't appreciate someone else yelling at my kids, but such is life. They were good the entire bus ride and the bus driver told us how we had fine young men on our hands. I'm thinking he felt bad for how rude these people were to them when they first climbed aboard.
The traffic in Baltimore was TERRIBLE, but it was moving. We crawled home the first part of our trip. We got home at supper time, and we grabbed takeout since we knew we had to get to Joshua's doctor's appointment. More on that to come. Thank you, Lord, for getting us home safely and peacefully!

No comments: