Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happy 27-month birthday, Caleb Luke!

On Friday, October 8, we celebrated 27 months with Caleb Luke. The first thing I have to say about my little guy is that I'm always impressed with how smart he is. In fact, this morning as I was dropping him off at this class for Study 'n Share, the gals in the room told me how impressed they were with his intelligence. The woman said "I can't believe he knows all his letters already! And their sounds!" It's true - he does know his letters and sounds after just turning two. But, I explained that he's a little sponge and as we work with Joshua on these items, Caleb picks them right up as well. It is so amazing to see the mind of a child work!
We originally planned on meeting Mamaw on Friday, but she had come down with a cold. Since the weather was gorgeous, we went for a walk that morning and played outside. Then Daddy called and said he was okay with going to the park over his lunch break (which I had suggested), so we met him and the boys played at Leola Park. This fall has had some wonderfully sunny days! It was in the 70s with the sun shining - the perfect weather to celebrate another month of life.
Another new thing that Caleb has started doing is "reading" books. I have reading in quotes because he's not truly reading but rather remembering the stories or saying the words based on pictures. Our favorite one is "Green Eggs & Ham" by Dr. Zeuss, which Joshua has memorized basically word for word. Caleb will get many of the words right, but we laugh and laugh when he says "I don't like it, Sam I am!" He has the sweetest little voice. And it amazes me when he gets words correct "I will not eat it here or there...I will not eat it anywhere... not with a goat or on a boat, etc"
Caleb loves songs. He will sing the ABC song all day long. He also likes the "sunshine" song, the "happy" song (one I made up about Caleb Luke making the mama happy), the "God" song (or Step by Step by Rich Mullins," the "Bayou" song from Princess and the Frog, Sweet Caroline, the "Crazy" song (by Pink that we did in church a few months back) and the "Goodnight" song where he wishes everyone in our family and more a good night.

Unfortunately, even though he loves books and songs, he's not as cuddly as he once was. He'll quickly come up and give you a hug, but he's not as eager to sit for long periods just to rock or cuddle. He's cuddly in the morning and before bedtime when he wants to be, but most other times he's gotten away from that sweetness, unlike his older brother. It's amazing how unique each child is!
Speaking of Joshua, Caleb asks for him when he's not awake, and yet he often looks for ways to push his buttons. They are definitely brothers. Still, the other day he wanted to wake Joshua up from his nap. Finally, I decided to let him since it was time the Bean got up. Caleb very gently went into his room, climbed up on his bed beside him, gave him a big hug and said, "Wake up, Joshie, I love you!" Soooo sweet!

Caleb often tells us that he loves us, too, which is so heartwarming. But, he's starting to call us "Mom" and "Dad" vs. "Mama or mommy" and "Daddy." It makes me sad to hear, but I realize he is, indeed, getting older. His favorite expression is "I do it by MYSELF!" He can put his crocs on himself, buckle the top of his car seat, take off his pants, etc. and whether he can or can't do something himself, he ALWAYS wants to try. When we play crazy creatures, he wants to snap everything on by himself, he wants to try to put the buttons on his own pants or coat, etc. It can drive me crazy, especially when I'm in a hurry. But, I realize I need to slow down and give him chances to try and show him how. Some things he's unable to do himself, but his strong will keeps him trying and trying until he will finally ask for help. I have to remember it's a good thing that he wants some independence.

You would think that with independence, he would be anxious to go in the potty. Not so! This is only my second time round in potty training, but again I'm amazed at how different my boys are. Caleb will stay dry an entire morning, but he will NOT go in the potty. He acts like it's a hot potato that he can't sit on. He doesn't stand still long enough to put water in the potty standing up. But, he understands the concept of not going in his undies. So, he'll wait until nap time when I put a diaper on him, and he'll fill it. I have no idea how to get him to go on the potty. But, I know God does. So, pray that he understands and wants to go soon! I think it's great that he seems to be able to stay dry, but it also baffles me. Help us, Lord!

Caleb is so stubborn, but he is more like his Daddy in how he expresses it. He smiles, he's quiet, but he still likes to do things his own way. He is SO funny, too. He makes us laugh all the time. His soft spoken voice is so sweet to listen to, yet he definitely has a personality all his own. We are very blessed to have Caleb in our lives. Happy 27-month birthday, my Caleb Luke!

No comments: