Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Three C's of Saturday: Cabela's, Church...and Car Trouble!

Saturday morning, Shawn got his insert for his shoe to hopefully alleviate the pressure on his foot joint. Since the appointment didn't last long, when he got home we piled in the car and hit a few yard sales...only it was pretty late to catch any real deals. (One treasure Shawn did pick up was a chair for $1 that makes all sorts of music. The boys both love it.) From there, we decided to do something fun as a family and we headed up to Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa.We'd heard this was a fun place to take kiddos, and I think the boys did enjoy it. There were tons of animals displayed there. They also sold everything you would ever dream or want for outdoors recreation, from camping paraphernalia to hunting gear to clothing, cabin furniture and all sorts of gadgets & gizmos.When you first walk in, there is a gi-normous display in the middle of all sorts of animals in a snow-covered ice-mountain. As we were checking out the caribou, buffalo and polar bears, I noticed Joshua saying "Dad, did you see..." and "Dad, look at that!" It was no longer Daddy or Dadda...both Shawn & I looked at each other with the Bean's new expression.We walked from that display into a room that was set up by African explorers. Joshua said to me, "MOM, do you see the elephant?" No momma or mommy...it was a simple mom. Somehow he transitioned this weekend, which made me a little sad. He seemed so grown up there! You'll see pictures of the zebras, rhinos, etc from this room throughout the rest of this post.We had taken the stroller in (which I wouldn't do again since they have carts), but Caleb was anxious to explore so we let him walk. He LOVED it! When it was too crowded, we picked him up and carried him, but otherwise we let him roam and kept an eye on him as he checked out the exhibits.After the African safari room, Daddy & Caleb took the elevator upstairs and Joshua & I took the stairs since the Bean begged to walk up them. On the second level there was a big airplane hanging from the ceiling, which Joshua loved. There was lots of adorable cabin furniture on this level, including these rocking toys that the boys loved. There was also an entire display of stuffed animals that the boys were enthralled with.From there, it was lunch time, so we decided to eat at the Cabela's cafe since they advertised a BBQ buffet. It was disgusting! Now they had other food that we didn't order to get this buffet, but I would say the food was not worth the money at all. We all left a little nauscious and a little hungry. After lunch, we wondered into an arcade-type room where you could put tokens in, which activated guns that you could aim at targets. If you got near certain targets, bears would pop out or various animals. It was kind of cute. Daddy bought some tokens, and he let Joshua take one 'shot' which the Bean liked simply for the little noise the gun made when the trigger was pulled. Shawn & I tried our luck at it, but we didn't really have much aim. So, we headed back downstairs. Caleb continued to explore and Joshua continued to point out all the neat things he was looking at (in fact, last night he asked for 'more animals' so I would say he had a good time). I love this picture of Caleb looking at the Beavers.On the other side of the ice mountain was a little pond with fish and bears overlooking it. Joshua loved looking at the water and fish, as did Caleb, which you can see in the pictures below.We knew naptime was just around the corner, so we decided to walk around a bit more before calling it a day. The last room we checked out was deer room. Joshua called every single one "Stinky Deer" and Caleb ran and ran in this room since it wasn't crowded at all. He was all smiles!After the deer exhibit, we packed the boys back into Daddy's car and left. The reason we didn't take my car on our adventure is because there's something wrong with it...UGH!!! When we were heading to Bounce U the night before, it made a noise and my ABS light came on and stayed on. Then my AWD light came on and started blinking, and when we went around corners, my four-wheel-drive would kick on for some reason. Shawn did some research online and it doesn't sound like a cheap problem; on the other hand, it sounds like a 'typical' malfunction with this model of Ford Escape and there were a few suggestions offered. So, Shawn's going to look at it today hopefully. Please pray that God heals my car and for not a lot of money! I hate spending money on vehicles. Praise the Lord, though, it got us to Annville and back safely. So, Saturday we took Daddy's car, which also needs some work that he's been putting off. I'm hoping we have at least one car this coming week since we have lots going on!
On the way home, both boys crashed (thankfully, I just mean they went to sleep). We rested a little bit too after we got home, and Daddy let me exercise when I got up. My leg's been really sore, but it's been a month. I can't not work out forever, so I took a jog to the park and back. On the way home, I got major leg cramps that I worked out. I don't know if I was dehydrated, if my legs weren't used to the work out so they were tighter than usual, or if it's related to my surgery. Either way, I survived and plan on continuing if at all possible this week. I just took it easier and will continue to do so until I'm completely healed.When I got home, I quickly showered and got ready for church and we headed out to LCBC. I'm so glad they have several church times that include Saturday evenings! Joshua was so excited for his class, and the man working that room asked Shawn how old the Bean was. He said he could tell that he was developmentally far and away above the other kiddos in the room and that it was time to move Joshua up to the next classroom, which will happen in a few weeks anyway since Joshua turns three in September. The guy said that he had a fantastic time with Joshua, who sang right along with all the songs and interacted with the other children and was well-behaved and not scared, etc. We were glad to hear that Joshua has adapted well to church...and he LOVES it!Shawn & I took a few minutes to enjoy a diet soda outside before heading into church. I never like that idea, but Shawn always does so I decided to compromise since we had a few extra minutes. We missed the first song of worship, but we got fantastic seats on the end of a row. The rest of worship was really good with Matt Goss, and I thought the sermon was fair. I'm not completely digging this sermon series, but I do always get 'something' out of it. This time we learned that we're not to be critics of people who run from God - the Lord is judge alone and our job is simply to forgive as God has called us to. That's hard when we've seen victims be hurt by the runners, but again God is God. And He offers second chances, which we've all needed at some point in our lives. They also showed a video of a divorced couple talking, and the woman was telling her husband how she died inside when he left and she had to take care of their son alone. My heart went out to her... but the point was that God will give him a second chance and while we don't have to offer a second chance, we do have to learn to forgive and allow God to deal with the 'runner.' I'm so glad that I have Shawn in my life... I couldn't imagine being that woman, and I hope I never have to experience that kind of hurt.
When we got home from church, we all had a snack since our lunch buffet had not been so hot and the boys hadn't eaten much for supper (Shawn & I had waited to eat until we got home) and we put the boys to bed after letting them wind down a little. We watched a little TV then and turned in ourselves. We had made all these plans for today, but it stormed overnight and is continuing to rain now. So, things like going to the lake or mowing the lawn are out for now. Maybe we'll take today as a day of rest instead. :) :) :)

1 comment:

Giovanna said...

You had a great time there.!! Its a nice idea to visit Cabela's to do some fun and enjoy.