Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Fun Week

I really must get better at taking my camera along to events! I actually grabbed it this morning, and it was dead. Ugh! So, a big thanks to my friends Kristen & Julie for their lovely pictures, including the one below that was taken this afternoon.
Backing up a bit, on Saturday evening, Shawn took the boys and me to Chili's for dinner. They had a great 2 for $20 special which included an appetizer, two meals and a dessert for $20. Our waitress was also FANTASTIC! She brought everything out quickly and was extremely efficient with the kids, who both did a great job at being out. It was one of the best restaurant experiences we've had to date. We all highly enjoyed it. Afterward, Shawn met his brother Brian and their friend Cory for a guy's night, where Shawn gave his sore foot a pounding playing ping pong. I came home, took the boys for a short walk (or hobble!) around the neighborhood, we played outside some and soon enough it was time to put them to bed. While I didn't mind at all, I'm so glad I'm not a single mom putting two boys to bed on my own every night. Shawn is a wonderful husband & father.

On Sunday, our family met my friend Anthony and his girlfriend Lauren, my friend Jen and her husband Ryan and my friend Jess and her husband Tim and their four kids - Donika, Emersyn, Eden and Jack - at Fuddrucker's for lunch. Anthony used to drive me & the twins home from school and to youth group at church - we were all very close back when we were in high school. We all lived in Leola at the time, and we all got along really well. As life would have it, we rarely get to see each other anymore, but we always enjoy the times when we can get together and catch up. Anthony wanted to introduce us to his love interest, and we were happy to meet her. Below is a picture of Jess, who is expecting number five this February, and her kiddos from her Facebook page. I didn't take any pictures while we were at lunch together - dangit!
That evening, we went to my sister Jen's to celebrate Grace's 7th birthday. I can't believe how quickly time flies! Joshua enjoyed playing with the other children, and Caleb devoured the watermelon. Here's a picture of Grace on her birthday (left) with her younger sister Faith (right).
Monday morning, we went to my mom's house to go swimming. Afterward, we played for a little bit in her basement before heading to "That Fish Place" where Joshua was enthralled by all the fish, the bunnies, the sting rays, the rats (yes, rats!) and other animals. Caleb, not so much. He's still a little too young, I think, and it was close to naptime. Afterward, Grandma treated them to happy meals and we headed home for night-night and took it easy with Daddy that evening.
We were supposed to meet our MOPS friends Tuesday morning at Overlook Park, but only three of us showed up, all of whom were also part of our life group. It was Becca with Alayna & Kyla and Melanie with Abby. This was one of the more fun times I've been at a park, though, because Caleb was no longer just interested in eating the wood chips (not that we ever let him...). He climbed and slid and rode a duck toy and swang on the swings, etc. He all but gave me a heart attack at the taller areas because this little guy has no fear. But, he enjoyed it. That makes my time easier when both my boys are enjoying themselves. Joshua, of course, LOVES to play outside and be at the park. We left completely covered in sweat, but we had a good time. That afternoon was Caleb's CT scan at LGH and afterward I treated the boys & Grandma (who stayed with the Bean) to ice cream. Since both kids were a sticky mess afterward, I gave them a bath before Bible study. Caleb stayed behind with Daddy, which was a good thing because the childcare workers didn't show...or there was some sort of miscommunication. Either way, no one was there to watch the kids. So, Lisa & I took toys into the sanctuary and requested we watch the video first, and Isabella & Joshua played. (And the Bean took Grandma's pen and played with her flashlight, etc.) They were very good, and we got to enjoy (most of) the video.
This morning, I was in the mood to get out. But, I wasn't sure what to do with the kiddos. They were calling for rain, which always complicates matters. To go out or to stay in? Finally after a few phone calls, I ended up going to Wilbur Chocolate Factory and Lititz Springs Park with my friends Kristen & Julie, who I used to work with at Masterpiece Marketing. Kristen brought along Elliott & Charlotte and Julie had Jude & Kate with her. Jude, Elliott and Joshua are all about the same age and Kate, Charlotte and Caleb are all about the same age (we're all pictured below, and Caleb & Charlotte are pictured on the swings above). Funny enough, we had all been going to get together tomorrow for lunch. But, Julie couldn't make it then and I scheduled a lunch date with another friend. So, I called Kristen this morning, and her plans had been cancelled, which was also the case with Julie. So, today's last-minute "wanna do something?" worked out great! Here are the three older boys: Elliott on the left in the light blue shirt, Joshua in the middle and Jude on the right with his back-pack.
Earlier in the summer, Julie had emailed me a list of 'things to do' with kids, and one of the suggestions on it was the Wilbur Chocolate Factory. I looked it up online and it said it had a museum tour, so I called and asked "would a two-year-old be bored?" The gal told me it was a self-guided tour so it would be fine to bring him - we wouldn't be rude if we left, etc. She said there was a looking glass where they dip marshmallows in chocolate and you can see them making things and some days they have someone who does artwork in chocolate. Thinking of the conversation, the whole thing makes me laugh, literally. I'm sitting here cracking up. The place is on the second floor with no ramp for strollers (thankfully there was a lift for poor Kristen and her bigger stroller), and it was basically a two-room candy store. There was one window where a lady was dipping marshmallows in chocolate, where our three boys are pictured below. The chocolate castle blocked their view of the woman working, but that was the only place there was a step for little guys. Typing about the so-called 'tour' was more interesting than the watching of it was. The boys were waiting for the fun tour we had told them about, and we were looking around puzzled. That was it?!?! Yes, I'm afraid. Thankfully we all have a sense of humor.
We walked across the street and grabbed lunch from Freeze 'n Frizz where the old Long 'n Bomberger's Hardware store used to be (where my Dad first worked when we moved to Lancaster). We took our food to go and headed back across the street to the Lititz Springs Park, which was really cool but again not very stroller-friendly. The day ended up being gorgeous with not a drop of rain. Joshua & Jude (pictured below) were enthralled with the ducks swimming in the fountain, and the ducks kept diving down for food with their tails in the air, which made the kids laugh. Caleb quacked the whole way to our picnic table.
Jude had to go to the potty, so I made Joshua walk with me (and Kristen & her kiddos) instead of following our potty-going friends. As I held onto his hand, he once again yelled his new favorite saying at me "I CAN'T TAKE IT!" Haaaa!!! He may look like a small version of Daddy, but he sure acts like his mama. That is a 'me-expression' through and through that makes me howl to hear out of a little guy's mouth.
We found a great spot to eat right next to the playground area. Caleb ate the entire grilled cheese I had bought for him & the Bean, which was fine because no matter how hard I tried to make the Bean eat, Joshua was off and running with his friends. I didn't really mind - how could I keep him from enjoying the outdoor playtime with friends? He climbed through the train, slid down the slides and played in the sand with the other boys. I can't believe how well they all got along. They were highly enjoying each other's company! As were us mommies! We talked about fun things to do with the kids and places we want to check out and birthday parties, etc. After we ate, all the kids decided to swing at the same time. There were exactly six kids and exactly six swings. Everyone was happy. The park was shaded and there was a nice breeze, which made up a little bit for the humidity. There was also music in the background since they were setting up for some family festival happening tonight. It looked like it could be fun! We had a great afternoon and after playing some more, we headed out to get some much-needed naps. My favorite funny moment was when Joshua said to me as we left "Let's go get some lunch. I'm hungry!" I had offered him all sorts of food and snacks, and he just wanted to play. When we finally climbed in the car to go home, he was ready for some food. Haaa!!! Hooray for family & friends!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey. I don't think we ever talked about this before. I know Kristen, Elliot, and Charlotte! They go to our church and Kristen is in my mom's group. :) Small world. We should all plan a playdate together!