Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy 11/11!

SATURDAY
Well, another weekend flew by. Caleb turned four months old on Saturday. That morning I took Joshua to meet Nonie and stay with her & Poppy for the day. That enabled Shawn & I to do more yardwork. While there's much more to do, we did get some of the brush under control (great job, honey!). I had muscles aching that I didn't even know existed. Later that afternoon, we took Caleb to meet Great Grandma Kennel, who was celebrating her 89th birthday. From there we headed up to Berks County to have a delicious dinner at Nonie & Poppy's house and pick up our much loved and missed Bean.
SUNDAY MORNING
Sunday morning, Shawn was helping the A/V team at LHOP, but since we had missed church the night before, I decided to venture out to LCBC and take both children, which is no small feat. I do it all the time for MOPS and other activities, I told myself, why not church? I'll tell you why not. There are 10,000 people (roughly) that attend church there over the weekend, and I think at least half are there on Sunday mornings...at least half! God blessed me with a parking space and I got both kids to their classes on time and was there for the start of the 9 am service. Whew! The message was good and I waited til the end to go get my kids. When I picked up Joshua, I didn't have the diaper bag (it stayed with Caleb) so my hands were full with him and all the stuff (a sippy cup, a spare diaper, a video I picked up from the women's ministries, etc) I had to carry. On the stairs where hundreds - literally hundreds - of people are making their way up and down, he decides he wants to walk. When I said no, the tantrum started. I have never been so embarrassed in all my life. I know I can't spank him there, and yet I knew he couldn't keep acting that way. I talked to him very sternly, but I knew even a time out threat was not good because I couldn't follow through with the thousands of people bustling around me - half leaving and half coming at the change of services. Right then I think he bit my necklace - beads flying everywhere...and up walks a gal from high school I haven't seen since then with her two well-behaved children. I must have seen a dozen people or more as I was leaving and Joshua was freaking out. In hind sight, I should have probably taken him into the bathroom and let him cool off before going on, but I was rushing to go grab Caleb. Caleb was sleeping, but my transferring him into his carseat woke him, so he joined in the crying. When I finally walked the mile out to the parking lot where my car was, I couldn't find it. I ended up setting off the alarm and found it an aisle down from where I remembered parking. I was HOT. Tired. Fuming. Exhausted. Embarrassed. Madder than a wet hen. Should I go to church? Shouldn't Shawn be there with me? Why wasn't God helping me? I'm sure I was to learn patience or humility or something, but I'm still annoyed even writing about it. Joshua passed out in the car as we were leaving. I went home and fed Caleb and ate lunch myself, which helped me calm down, too. It's hard to remain calm when your kids are outta whack, but I know that's what's necessary. Lord, please help me to do the right thing and be a good parent!
SUNDAY AFTERNOON & EVENING
Our small group was helping with an "inside out" project, doing yard work for widows in the community that signed up for help to share Jesus' love. The six guys went to a house that had a yard similar or worse than ours, and it literally took them the entire day to finish the job. Thankfully, Becca suggested that we get together, which helped me not miss Shawn as much. She & her daughter Alayna came over to our house and the kids played while the mommies chatted. We ate dinner together and enjoyed our time, and I think the guys enjoyed hanging out, too.
MONDAY
Yesterday I watched Emma & Daniel for Jen as she went to help with Grace's school again. Joshua cried when Emma took his toys...it was a LONG hour. Thankfully, last night was Moms Night Out, or at least that's what I called it. The six gals from small group went out to Chili's for dinner. It was so nice to get out without the kids, as much as I love them! I had a great time as we all chatted - everyone seems so nice. I was the first one to leave as I had to keep with Caleb's nursing schedule. But, I was stuffed and it was a good time to go. I had a great time!
TODAY
Today is veteran's day, and I'm thankful for the sacrifice that so many have made...after all, as quoted from a newsletter I wrote this past weekend "Freedom is NOT Free." Grandma & I went to Target this morning and we're all getting together for lunch before Caleb's doctor's appointment this afternoon. I must run!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I totally understand your frustation with the tantrum!! Today I went to the grocery store with all of our kiddos. I was pushing it and I knew it...it was lunch time/nap time. Mikya sat down on the floor in the check out line and refused to get up. When I picked her up, she yelled "I'm mad!" As I'm dealing with her, Mr. Sticky hands (aka Joshua) knocks a thing of coffee off of the conveyor belt. :) Fun times. We all have our shining moments!! ;) Love you. ~Connie