Friday, November 14, 2008

Christmas Music??? Isn't it still July???

Okay, this is my last post for the day...most likely for the weekend (I really must start taking more pictures of my boys. They are growing up so fast and my camera is out of batteries again!!!).Last night on the way to school, I heard Christmas music. Yes, I was aghast, too! How could they be playing Christmas music...after all, it's July, right? Then I realized that Thanksgiving is right around the corner (and I'm hosting this year, so I should know that!). While I realized the time has changed and the weather has turned colder, for some reason it really didn't dawn on me how soon Christmas will be here. Life seems to stop once you have a baby and doesn't start rolling again for six months, I think, and by then you're so out-of-whack with your calendar, you never really 'catch up'!So, I was horrified at the tunes...and then I started to sing along. Why be bah-humbug? I won't actually dig out the Christmas tree or decorate until Black Friday...first comes being thankful then we can get into the holiday spirit. However, I want this year to be about rejoicing at the Lord's birth. I wonder if He gets as excited about His birthday as we do? I LOVE birthdays! When I was little, my parents made us queen of the castle on our birthday - we got to lick the batter out of the bowl from the cake that mom baked (a special treat) and we opened gifts and we were just treated specially. I still love birthdays (although I'm not looking forward to getting older anymore...truth be known I think I'm at the perfect age and wish that nothing would change - I would like my kids to stay these ages and me and my husband to stay just the way we are and nothing to move, but I know that's unrealistic). Anyway, I'm excited that each year God shares the specialness of his birthday with us! Hallelujah - our Savior was born!If you think of it, please pray for my mom. Jamie died literally just before Christmas last year, and she's having a really, really hard time. Keep her in your prayers, and if you have time a phone call or a nice letter would go a long way this holiday season to making her feel loved. She is so special to me! And, I want her to be happy rather than sad on Christmas, even though I understand (or try to) her loss.Lastly, if you're looking for good Christmas tunes, my absolute favorite Christmas song is "Pretty Good Night" by Unsearchable Riches (well worth downloading) and I also like "Eternal Gifts" by Leigh Anne Nash (even though it's a little bit country-sounding for my taste). Get ready to enjoy all the fun that comes with holidays...the lights, the decorating, the cookie baking, the gingerbread houses, the shopping, the wrapping, the wonder of children at the thought of Santa, the stockings hung with care...and don't forget to take time to remember who this special day is about...HE IS AMAZING!!!

No comments: