Monday, July 30, 2007

Bean at the Beach

On Thursday night, Grandma & Grandpa Ginder came over, and we all took Joshua on a walk in his stroller through our neighborhood and ended the evening by sitting outside in our backyard. Joshua slept pretty well over night, and Friday morning we got up and took my friend Jen to work - she's not allowed to drive due to the seizures she was having (we're believing they are done forever!) - and called me when she was "stuck like Chuck" (an expression that made me giggle). Joshua and I didn't mind helping her out one bit - it was nice to see my forever friend even for a few moments, and she greeted me with beautiful flowers.

Friday night, Shawn & I were in the midst of packing when Grandma & Grandpa Ginder called to invite us to Barnes & Nobles, Shawn's favorite hangout spot. A pretty gal was staring at Shawn & Joshua and proclaimed "He is the cutest baby I've ever seen!" Then she looked at me and said, "Did you make him?" I thought that was an awkwardly weird way to phrase the question - Shawn's mom exclaimed she was the maker of the maker. :) :) :) We saw the biggest dog I've ever seen outside Barnes & Nobles, and once Joshua finally caught on to what we were all looking at, he said "Dog" pretty clearly.

Saturday morning we woke up, packed up and headed for the beach. Mom rented a 5 BR, 2 BA beach cottage at Rehobeth and Jen's family went for the whole week while we just went for the weekend (unfortunately Mom & Jamie couldn't go and neither could Tim & Becky). There was an accident that blocked Route 1 going both directions, so getting there took double the time it should have. Once we were there, it started to rain but we didn't care. No more sitting for us! Shawn, Joshua & I went for a stroll in the rain straight to the boardwalk (only a few blocks down). We decided that once it started pouring, it was time to grab something to eat at Grotto Pizza. After the rain was done, we headed out once more and let Joshua watch all the activities in the Funhouse/Amusement Park. He loved watching the horse races and the game where you try to launch a frog onto the lily pad, and he also enjoyed watching bumper cars and the carousel. The best part for him, though, was anytime he saw a puppy on our walk. He would sit up as far as he could in the stroller and reach out to try and pet it. We took him out to see the water and get our feet wet that night before heading back to the house. Once Jen & Mike and the girls were finished with supper and ready to go, we all went back out to get ice cream. Joshua smiled at all who passed for awhile (while we listened to the live band perform) until he got tired. He had done amazingly well the entire car ride, he had sat nicely at Grotto Pizza and overall he had been good the whole day. We decided to go back and set up the pack 'n play and our room. That night, I read each niece a book of their choice (Grace's was a book about all sorts of fish & the ocean, Faith's was a book about Dolphin's and Emma's was a book about a bear named Max that she had gotten for her birthday). They said goodnight, we put Joshua to bed, watched TV & chatted with Jen & Mike before calling it a night.

Sunday morning, I heard Mike get up at 5 a.m. but I wasn't ready to get out of bed. Joshua had been up off and on throughout the night but we hadn't gotten him up. We finally got up at 7 a.m., ate a quick breakfast, and headed out to the beach. I took Grace & Faith to dip their feet in the icecold water while Jen & Mike set up a little tent for Daniel. Emma was terrified of the water and didn't want to get in, while the older two were anxious to go out further (I let Mike take them out). Emma played with Joshua for a little while until the Bean started eating the sand. We tried to prevent it by keeping him on a sheet, but he wasn't having it. Then he was upset (yuck!) so I took him to get "cleaned off" in the ocean. I sat down on the sand and sat him on me, but he yelped at the cold water. So, we packed up our stuff after a little while and went back to get showers. After we were all showered, cleaned and packed to go home, Jen & Mike & gang came back. We gave kisses and headed for home...the trip back was still a little congested but not as bad as the way down. We were thankful for safe travels and the opportunity to get away for a weekend - thanks, Mom!

Last night, Mom & Aunt Karen came over to watch Joshua and let Shawn & I go on a date. We ate at the Olive Garden and had grown up conversation. Funny thing is, we mostly talked about Joshua. It was wonderful to spend time with the love of my life. Joshua got up at the crack of dawn but took a substantial nap, which is letting me prepare for school. I'm teaching two courses now this semester instead of just one - Personal Selling & Principles of Marketing. With classes starting the end of August, I MUST get cracking!
On a side note, I'm no longer sick - thank you for all who prayed for our health! Joshua's not been doing too well on the Prevacid and is still throwing up consistently - please pray that God would heal him completely!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Did you make him?" Oh my word that is the funniest thing ever. I would have died. Hahaha!!!! You should have told her yes, but Shawn helped and then winked really obnoxiously. TOO hilarious.