Monday, July 16, 2007

Seize the Day

Scary Moments
Last night over night, Jamie had three seizures. The only reason the nurse knew was because he had the call bell in his hand and when the seizure started, he gripped the button tightly to call her. So, they did a CATScan, which didn't show anything abnormal - thus, they continued to run more tests. To do the tests, they gave him medicine to make him stay still and also increased his seizure medication. He was completely incoherent. Mom called us first thing this morning (we were eating breakfast at Shady Maple with Dad) to ask for company. Becky went after breakfast, and I went just before dinner time. He looks completely different than the last time I saw him (we weren't able to go in since he had his surgery since children aren't allowed in the neurotrauma unit) - he had a little cap over his incision in his skull, but what was more sad was that he couldn't talk (they think this is a result of the seizure and should come back), and he fell in and out of sleep while trying to pull out his oxygen tube and pull off his gown & covers, etc. How scary cancer is! This picture is from my college graduation in 2001 - it's unbelievable how different he looks now.Amazing Moments
Today when Dad & Annette were here, I said "Yeah, Dad" and Joshua repeated "Yeah, Dad" immediately. All three of us looked at each other in amazement. There was no mistaking his talking. Joshua also tried cheese curls tonight (Shawn gave them to him) and he loved them. He's laughing away at Grandpa Georgia and loves the new toys he brought up.

Funny Moments
Becky called while we were still at my house unloading toys, and she said she was on her way over. After she said goodbye and hung up, I needed the broom so I handed the phone to Dad to hold for a minute. He took it and "answered" saying, "Hello?" because he missed me saying goodbye to Becky. I laughed so hard I almost cried. Was anyone there, Dad? Ha ha ha ha! (Guess you had to be there...)

More laughter! During dinner, Jen's dog Sage followed Faith outside when we were having our cookout, and "did his business" in the grass. Emma was heading off to play after dinner and found this pile, stopped right in front of it and gasped, clapping her hand over her wide open mouth. We all howled!

Sad Moments
Emma & Faith are both VERY sick with fevers, blisters in their mouths, and a virus they picked up from my sister's friend's kiddos. Faith's eyes were glassy at dinner, she was very pale and was sitting quietly not eating. I asked, "How you doing, buddy?" to which she looked behind her at Daniel (I guess girls aren't called 'buddy') so I responded, "No, sweetie, I'm asking how you're doing, Faith." She answered, "I have a boo-boo in my head. BUT, it's not like the boo-boo that Jamie has in his head." Soooo sweet! She has a headache but wanted to make sure I understood it wasn't THAT serious. I guess the girls keep asking when Jamie will get better so he can play again. Sad...

Cute Moments
One of the toys Grandpa Georgia brought for Jen's kids is this furry-looking spider-esque thing on a leash/string that makes noise as you walk it. I asked the girls what they had named their new little friend, and Gracie proclaimed JOSHUA! So cute! That's also what she wanted to name Daniel. She sure does love her little cousin, and he loves her, too.

Nice Moments
It's been nice to see Dad & Miss B-nette (what Grace has started calling Annette for some reason), my sisters, my nieces & nephew, and I also got to see Mom & Jamie today, not to mention having the pleasure of spending the day with Joshua, which I treasure. I also love seeing Shawn, too! Dad went with me to get my oil changed, pump gas, and deposit checks in the ATM. I also wrote two small copy jobs today. It's been a busy day! I think we're all exhausted, so I'll wait to post more until tomorrow.

No comments: