Thursday, July 5, 2007

Reflection 50: The Key to a Good Life is to be Honest, Especially with Yourself

When You Are Honest First With Yourself, You'll Find It Easier to Be Honest With God and Others.
Honesty is the best policy. We've heard that often enough, haven't we? And haven't we found it to be true! You avoid so many awkward social situations and misunderstandings simply by being honest. Honesty earns the respect and trust of others and keeps your moral compass set on heaven. Still, sometimes it is hard to be honest, especially with yourself. It's not always easy to admit your shortcomings and needs or to look at your true motivation for certain behavior. I know, because I often have a hard time being honest with myself. But honesty is the only tool for digging to the root of a problem. Honesty is the only broom that sweeps our hearts clean. Let's ask God to keep us honest always, with each other and with ourselves.

'Our lives improve only when we take chances - and the first and most difficult chance we can take is to be honest with ourselves.' ~Walter Anderson

Search me, oh God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Psalm 139:23

No comments: