Saturday, March 24, 2007

Juicy Fruit of the Spirit #7: Faithfulness

Last Sunday I went to church while Shawn watched Joshua. On the way there, I had tuned into the sermon on WJTL, and the pastor was talking about the Fruit of the Spirit. I only caught about 5-10 minutes of his teaching since that's all the longer that it takes me to get to church, but when I tuned in he was talking about fueling your car and how different things that you do in your life can fuel your soul toward the Fruit of the Spirit or toward the darkness of your life before you were saved. So, he asked you to think about what was the music that you listen to fueling or your language, etc. Please pray that Joshua fuels his spiritual tank with things that help him display "Juicy Fruit" when his life is squeezed.

Since we're on the fruit of faithfulness, I looked up 'faithful' in the Bible. (It's funny & amazing how God brings themes into your life when He's trying to teach you!) The first passage that caught my eye was this one in Deuteronomy, which talks about how if we're faithful God brings the 'rain' that He touched me with yesterday on my way home: "So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul — then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and oil." Deuteronomy 11:13-14

This next passage is the one I thought of immediately when thinking about faithfulness. Matthew 25:21 says"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'" My biggest desire is to hear "well done, good & faithful servant" when it's my time to go home. I pray that Joshua will be good & faithful in his walk to hear those words from our Saviour, too.

Faithfulness, however, is not always the easy road. I know that sometimes when we have committed to do something, for this reason or that reason I want to back out of our plans. But, Shawn usually weighs in and continues to be steadfast and faithful, which is one reason that I respect him so much. He always says that if we don't want to do it, we should be up front and not make plans or say that we will from the start, even if it's simply a mood change on my part. I know that when we are faithful with small things, we are put in charge of even bigger things because tasks are given to those who will be faithful to carry them out.

Please pray that Joshua is faithful to others, faithful to his beliefs, and faithful to do the work of Jesus. Two other scriptures that show God's promises to his faithful ones are: Revelation 2:10 "...Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life" and Psalm 37:28 "For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever, but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off..."

Thank you, Lord, for Joshua. We pray that you would help Shawn and me to be good role models for him and teach him to walk in your truth. We pray today for not only his health, safety & protection but also for his Godly character. Please help him to grow up to be just like you. We ask that the Holy Spirit would encourage him to be faithful, and that this fruit would be evident in his life. In Jesus' name we pray, AMEN!

Click here to see a somewhat goofy video where Joshua is giggling a little. He was laughing hysterically so I picked up the camera to video it but had to balance him and the camera and still try to make him laugh...anyway, enjoy!

No comments: