Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Kindergarten Gingerbread Decorating Party

On Friday, December 21, I sent Joshua to school with a small gift for his teacher. Later that morning, Mamaw arrived at our house to watch Caleb & Ryan while I walked once again to the elementary school. Since I was a few minutes early, I helped a couple of the room parents carry in the various gingerbread houses to both kindergarten classrooms. I ran into one of our neighbor's, who Shawn happened to go to high school with - I didn't even realize their daughter was in kindergarten (she's in the other class). Small world!
After the houses were all delivered, I went to sit with Joshua, who was very excited to see me. Looking around the room, I felt bad for the students who didn't have a parent who could be there. Some of them had grandparents or a random other person to accompany them. I am so thankful that I could spend the time with him (and that Mom would babysit so I could!).
Each family had been asked to donate candy for the event. We took in licorice. Various tables were called up to put what candy they wanted to use on their houses. Ours was the last table to be called, but we didn't mind. Joshua didn't get antsy or upset as we waited. We had plenty of icing from Nathan, and I squirted it on where Joshua told me and he put his candy on where he wanted. I was amused at the grandparent next to me who insisted on doing their house her way. Our house may not have been "perfect" but it was Joshua's masterpiece. I was impressed when he suggested twisting the licorice to make a front door. :) :) :)
 
When he was done, the teacher told us that we could sign our kids out and leave when we were ready. Joshua gave his teacher a hug goodbye and we packed up his things (including a nice present from her with pencils with his name on it, and another little toy that we didn't know what it was until the disk shot across our kitchen and right into the fish bowl)! [And yes, our two fish are still alive and well...ugh!] We walked home hand-in-hand on this cold, WINDY day and I struggled to keep his house in tact. But, it made it!
After we got home, we went with Mamaw, Caleb, Ryan and Cousin John (who Mamaw had agreed to watch for the afternoon so Aunt Jen could go into the older cousin's classrooms) to Costco. We picked up a veggie tray for our party the next day, a shrimp platter for our gathering on Sunday and a few other odds & ends before eating pizza in their cafe. Then we headed back to Jen's house for me to drop them off and then home for us. I was hoping to go on our annual carriage ride that night, but I ended up getting sick and couldn't. Such is life!

No comments: