Monday, December 24, 2012

A Christmas Feast Without Roast Beast


On Monday, December 17, Grandpa Georgia planned a Christmas dinner at our house. He bought the turkey and fixings and invited my sisters and their families and his girlfriend Robin to come over that evening (picking that Monday because it was the only day that seemed to suit everyone's busy schedules this month). When I woke up, I buttered the turkey and put it in my oven; and he arrived shortly thereafter to begin peeling potatoes. We ate breakfast together and I made "extra good mashed potatoes" for the crock pot. Then I set the tables that Shawn had helped me set up the night before with my pretty Christmas dishes.
Dad & Robin were the first to arrive. They brought with them a meat & cheese tray. Jen & Mike and their kids were next, bringing stuffing and dessert (a homemade apple pie and cheesecake), followed by Becky & Tim with salad. I made peas & carrots and we had applesauce and crescent rolls as well.
We took a few pictures (none of the four of us had everyone looking and smiling at the same time! You can tell Becky & Dad don't have little kids anymore - you have to look and smile at the camera at all times to capture a good shot at the moment you can get one!).
After we finished with dinner, we played a "now you have it, now you don't" game that Aunt Becky put together with CVS deals. Joshua got shampoo when it was his turn to open, and Caleb got a box of Macaroni & Cheese. I ended up with a bag of Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups, and Shawn got toothpaste. :)

After that game was finished, Becky & Tim taped Bible characters to our backs, and we had to guess who we were by asking yes or no questions to other folks in the room. Once we knew who we were, we needed to find another person with the same name on their back. The pair then would go up to Aunt Becky to claim a prize. Ryan was my "partner" (Tim helped him). I got a conditioner, and Ryan got a thing of crayons, which he traded Grace for her toothpaste (since he really didn't care).
We did our typical "pop swap" and had our dessert. Then it was past the boys' bedtime, so everyone headed out shortly thereafter. Shawn put the kids to bed while I cleaned up. I ran the dishwasher, swept the floors, cleaned dishes, etc. and finally went upstairs at 10 pm, exhausted from a long but fun day. :) I didn't get to work out and ate far too much, but it was nice to see everyone.

No comments: