Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Terrible Tragedy

On Sunday night when we got home from Grandma's house, our neighborhood was packed with cars. Upon closer look, I saw that many of them were police cars. I groaned, assuming that someone probably got robbed. I went inside and talked online with a neighbor friend and discovered that it was much worse than a robbery. In fact, I wish the whole neighborhood had been robbed, including our house, rather than this most devastating news.

The older brother of one of Joshua's friends who lives diagonally from us - a child we see each day walking to school and has played at our house - had a terrible accident and passed away that evening. I was so upset, I literally couldn't sleep that night. My stomach rolled, my heart grieved, and my mind raced. I prayed for his parents, I prayed for his siblings, I prayed for my own children's safety, and I prayed for all the broken-hearted folks who were missing this young boy...I prayed and I prayed and I prayed.

I also thought about how Christmas really isn't about big meals, lots of presents, or money we have or don't have. It was a time of reflection on what matters the most in life. God sent His One and Only Son so we may have eternal life and hope even after we pass. And, I realized our moments on earth may come to an end quicker than we expect, so each minute is a gift that we should use wisely in telling our loved ones just how much they mean to us and how much we love them.

That night I went in to my boys' room and watched them sleep a little while. The next morning, when they woke up I snuggled with them and told them that I loved them more than they could ever know. And I tried to let go of any "expectations" of what Christmas should look and feel like. Instead, we tried just to enjoy the moments. Each day is a gift.

Out of our grief for our neighbors, I've put in the obituary that was in this morning's paper of the spunky and sweet boy whose life came to an end far too soon. I'm struggling with what and how to tell my children - pray for wisdom for us, for understanding for them, and please please pray for Riley's family during this time. His younger brother Peyton is Joshua's age, and I can't imagine how he must feel! And I honestly can't imagine what his parents must be feeling either.
Gregory Riley Bernhardt
Gregory Riley Bernhardt, 9, of Lancaster, passed away unexpectedly on 
Sunday, December 23, 2012.  Born in Lancaster, he was the son of Gregory 
and Shannon L. (Wytovich) Bernhardt.

Riley was a 4th grade student at Nitrauer Elementary School.  He enjoyed 
skateboarding, biking, music, dancing and singing, going to the beach
 and swimming.  Riley liked watching adventure movies such as Indiana
 Jones and Star Wars.  His favorite food was a “plain” cheeseburger
 and pretzels.  Riley liked sports and enjoyed playing baseball and
 basketball with his brother, Peyton.  He started to learn how to Pogo Stick
 with one leg and one arm.  He had a huge Lego collection and was
 interested in collecting rocks.  Riley loved playing with his 
grandparents’ golden retrievers, Jack and Tori.

In addition to his parents, Greg and Shannon, Riley is survived by his two
 sisters, Hailey Lockner and Avery Bernhardt; a brother, Peyton Bernhardt; paternal grandparents,
 Jim and Marie Bernhardt of Lancaster, PA; maternal grandparents, Carl and Nancy Wytovich of
 Lancaster, PA; great-grandmothers, Clara McElwee of Lebanon, PA, Alverta Wytovich of Lebanon, PA
 and Ruth Salamon of Columbia, PA; Aunts and Uncles, Ryan and Annette Moran of Elizabethtown, PA,
 Pete and Celeste Bush of Lancaster, PA and David Wytovich and Colleen Durkin of Lancaster, PA; and
 cousins, Katie, Meghan, Sydney, Shane and Brady.
A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11AM on Saturday, December 29, 2012 at the Worship
 Center, 2384 New Holland Pike, Lancaster, PA 17601 with Pastor Sam Smucker officiating.  
Family and friends will be received from 9-11AM at the church.
Everyone that is attending the services is encouraged to bring a flashlight.  Riley’s favorite color was red
 and the family wishes for everyone to wear an item that is “Red”.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Riley’s name to the Worship Center Children’s
 Ministries; the Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue, 60 Vera Cruz Road, Reinholds, PA 17569
 or The Gathering Place, 247 W. Main Street, Leola, PA 17540.  To send the family online
 condolences, please visit SnyderFuneralHome.com. Charles F. Snyder, Jr. Funeral Home
 & Crematory 717-560-5100

No comments: