Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ocean City, NJ!



We went to Ocean City, NJ, for a couple days the second weekend of August and I think it's my new favorite beach. We had a GREAT time!

When we arrived, our hotel room wasn't ready yet. That was okay, though, because I had already dressed the boys in their swim shorts to drive down, so we headed straight to the beach. I had packed us lunch to eat, and the boys enjoyed their sandwiches and "Angry birds" crackers especially (along with the healthier items we took along). I couldn't believe that I left my camera in the car, though. DOH!

We had to hunt for parking, and at one point I had almost given up hope of finding parking on the street. But, we found a space for free that was REALLY close to the beach. So, we parked and walked; and I didn't feel like going back to the car to get the camera with Ry-guy while Shawn watched the other boys. Part of me wishes that I would have, though, since we opted not to go back to the beach again that trip.

The kids LOVED the sand! Ryan played with sand toys, and he was doing great on the beach sheet I took. Caleb also played and played. I took the two older boys up to the water first, and Joshua spotted a crab claw on the ground. We also saw some sea shells, but there weren't too many. The sand was super soft on our feet and not too terribly hot to walk on. The boys & I dipped our toes in the water, and Shawn took Joshua out deeper at the Bean's request while I took care of the other two. It was a great day at the beach!

We were completely covered in sand when we went back to our car, but that was okay. Joshua minded, but he was it. We covered his seat with his towel and he was good to go. We went swimming in the outdoor pool at the hotel once we got back. Ryan LOVES the water! He would move his hands and splash and kick his little legs. The other boys could both touch in the shallow part of the pool and enjoyed the refreshing water - not too cold and not too hot.







We stayed in Somerset, NJ at the Residence Inn by Marriott. We chose the hotel because Shawn has points that we could use so our room was free. We had looked up reviews online and saw that everyone commented it was "family friendly" but a few complained that the decor was dated. So, we had little expectations but we figured you couldn't go too wrong with free when 99% of the reviews were good. I have to say that we LOVED it!

Shawn said there was a fridge in the room, so I took along a couple bottles of water. In reality, there was an entire kitchen in the room complete with stainless steel appliances and granite, etc. I wish I would have brought food along so we didn't have to eat out. We did bring pizza back from the boardwalk, though, and ate it for lunch the next day since there were dishes and a microwave, etc.
 
The rooms also had a fireplace, which we didn't take advantage of on these hot days, and a private little patio. What I loved most was the spaciousness of the room, though, because we could easily put Ryan's pack 'n play up and not have him see me directly (which helped him get to sleep in 10 minutes vs. hours). The boys LOVED the pool, which was shallow for most of it (again, emphasis being on kid-friendly). The room came with free breakfast, which I wouldn't write home about, but it's money we didn't spend. There were eggs, waffles, french toast, fruit, yogurt, bread, muffins, etc. None of it was great, but it was food.
The beach then was a couple miles from our hotel room (not all that far, but you definitely had to drive). The first day we found free parking on the street after hunting for a long time (I would have personally given up and just paid the $15 a day in the lot right near the front, but I think it became a challenge for my husband). That night, we found a spot right up front with a meter, which we kept having to go back and feed but we were only there a couple hours so we spent $3 in parking vs. the $15. I told Shawn that with a free hotel room, next time we're factoring the $15 cost to park as part of the cost of going to the beach. On weekdays, I think the cost to park drops to $10.
Shawn & I have gotten the shower routine with the boys down to a science, I'd say. My husband jumped in while I got one of the boys undressed and handed him in. Shawn would wash him as I worked on the next one. Then I'd throw a dirty boy in while he handed me a clean one out. I helped the boys find their clothes, and I helped lotion Caleb's sensitive skin up. Last was Ryan who needs the most help from Mama afterward, which gave Shawn a chance to shower. After he was done, I got in. The water pressure was excellent and I was impressed with the clothes line in the shower to hang our wet suits. I think we need to add one of these in our family bathroom at home. How convenient!
 
When we were all ready, we got back in the car and headed to the boardwalk. Again, we LOVED the area. We stopped for gas on the way and then parked the minivan and walked to see the sights.
The first stop was dinner at an overpriced pizza joint. The pie was HUGE, though, and fed us dinner that night and lunch and dinner the next day. So, I shouldn't complain too much. Thereafter, we went to the arcade and let the boys have fun.
This town is a "dry" town and the emphasis is on kiddo fun. That worked great for our family! We were impressed with all the fun activities to do with kids. There was a water park on the boardwalk (cha-ching!) that we opted not to do, there was tons of mini-golf places, arcades, photo shops and tons of food and shopping, etc.
The weather was perfect - beautifully warm without being overbearing. We were having a blast! Shawn changed in some cash for coins so the kids could enjoy the rides and arcade.
The boys loved it!!!
Caleb was riding his motorcycle like Papaw's...
And the boys would take turns or play games together.
Ryan got a little bored at times, so I took him for a walk.
We went and splurged on caramel popcorn that I've heard is fantastic. The smell alone called my name!
The boys continued to play games - this bowling one ate their money.
They did have a blast playing air hockey against each other.
I insisted on ice cream at the end of the night. Is it a boardwalk experience without it? Yes, it is. But, ice cream sounded good. Caleb picked chocolate!
Joshua begged for Rita's Italian Ice like we had had before. So, Shawn agreed.
I sat with Caleb and enjoyed my vanilla custard cone while he devoured his chocolate.
Ryan decided he needed ice cream too!
I took a picture of the sky, the ocean, the boardwalk and the people walking. It was simply beautiful! The perfect night!
Caleb & I had messy faces! And big ice cream smiles!
Ryan enjoyed some of my cone as well.
Joshua was thrilled to get his mango Italian ice before we left. Yum!!!
The baby was happy to eat my ice cream. Don't you love how he puts his feet up on the stroller and kicks back to have his snack?
Delicious! Only at the beach can you have pizza and ice cream in one night!
That night, the boys had their "hotel-only" pillow fight with Daddy!
Everyone slept extremely well, especially for being on vacation. That ocean air had worn us out! I kept hearing Ryan scootching throughout the night, but I think he must do this on his normal nights and I just am not close enough to hear him. It kept me waking me, but I'd get right back to sleep. He wasn't crying or fussing - he was just moving. Silly boy!
The next morning we opted not to get all sandy again since we were leaving later that day and weren't sure we'd have time to all get a proper shower. Instead, we went back for more boardwalk fun. There were a TON of bikes on the boardwalk - you can even rent family bikes and all sorts of contraptions, which are only allowed up until noon on the boardwalk. The air was invigorating and the place was alive with activity!
The boys were excited to go after our hotel breakfast!
I love to take a picture of Shawn walking with our boys.
They went back to a different arcade to spend some more quarters. Here's Shawn enjoying one of the "rides" with Caleb.
Caleb enjoyed the helicopter too!
Ryan was bored - poor baby! Next year he'll enjoy himself more!
I was starting to get bored as well, but the boys were having fun. I walked Ryan around a bit after snapping a few more pictures.








Caleb in Clifford was too cute!
Ryan fell asleep eventually.

We told the boys it was soon time to head back.
On Sunday, August 12, Ryan took four steps to get to Shawn in our hotel room. He LOVED to explore the room and there wasn't a lot that he couldn't get into, so we let him have the run of the place. The steps were uneasy and short, but they were definitely steps. He took several more the next day when we were home and I was on my run. Thereafter, he'd take between four and six at a time and then crawl. It wasn't long before he was taking more and more and walking like a champ!
A favorite "toy" that he loves is tissues. He'll pull one out and giggle with delight that another one comes thereafter. I typically think it's wasteful, but Shawn said that for the $1 of tissues, wasn't it worth it to see him having fun? I agreed - sometimes it's the little things in life that can bring pleasure. Why not enjoy it once in awhile? Ryan went to town. He LOVED the tissues! And the hotel room! He was a happy boy then!
We were sad to leave, but we hope to go back again some day. It was a GREAT mini-vacation and OCNJ was definitely worth the trip!

No comments: