Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Happy 49-month birthday, Caleb Luke!

Caleb turned 49-months on Wednesday, August 8. We spent the morning swimming in Mamaw's pool since it was a beautiful day. But, Caleb went under not once but twice even though he could touch. When he got flustered because he wasn't listening and I was asking him to obey, he would forget what he was doing and somehow he would go under to where it would scare him (and me!). He regained his balance as both Mom &; I went to grab him. Oh, Caleb Luke!
 

Caleb is testing every boundary we give him. Do we really mean what we say? Can he push just a little harder? He reminds me that we need to be firm and consistent, even when it's not easy. At times it can drive me bananas, but I'm hoping that eventually he will grow out of this stage and hopefully into a young man that will respect authority and do good on his own. His passive aggressive personality SO reminds me of Shawn - stubborn and strong-willed and yet so calm and peaceful about it that he could fall under the radar. That said, Shawn is the most amazing man I've ever met, so if Caleb turns out to be just like him, I'll be more than pleased!
Caleb has come to a point in life where he refuses to try any vegetables. I'm hoping this is a phase, but we keep offering them even though he refuses them. And we always make the boys at least try everything on their plate before turning their nose up at it. They don't have to eat until they're overly stuffed, but I want them to at least see if they like something before saying no. We're working with Caleb on this.
My little buddy has the neatest handwriting. Shawn commented that it's even easier to read than Joshua's, and I would agree. He's very meticulous when he writes, and he's picking up more and more of how each letter looks and is shaped and proportioned to each other. I enjoy playing puzzle books with him and watch him write new things or discover new abilities!
Caleb loves to help in the kitchen, and lately more than ever he's become a cuddle bug. He's constantly asking to sit on our laps or snuggle in our bed at night. It reminds me that he's still a little boy who needs lots of love and encouragement.
We just found out that Caleb will have Mrs. Hurlbert for preschool this year. I was hoping for Mrs. Zimmerman, but I've heard good things about this teacher as well. Sometimes I feel bad that we're not really back-to-school shopping for Caleb. But, Joshua had plenty of clothes that Caleb can wear, so it seems like a waste of money. I don't think Caleb minds at this age.
I love to hear Caleb sing. He's very quiet but it's typically in tune and he knows many of the words. When Shawn & I hear him in the backseat of the minivan, we just smile at each other and nod. It is ADORABLE!

Speaking of adorable, I had friends tell me that they think Caleb's freckles are too cute. I would agree. They are the sweetest thing to look at with his big blue eyes and long lashes. I love those little cheeks! He is such a handsome little man!

Happy 49-month birthday, Caleb!

No comments: