Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Happy 13-Month Birthday, Ryan!

I love my little blue-eyed, blonde-haired baby Ryan! He is so, so sweet and easygoing. He hasn't been taking liquids well from us. So, on July 3 at 4:10 pm I took him to see the pediatrician. I explained that he's not drinking milk well. I fear he's getting dehydrated. Could that be part of his issues with his smaller head, etc? Dr. Kernan of Roseville Pediatrics told me she thinks he's holding out for nursing and it's a weaning issue more than a drinking issue. I strongly disagree, but she had her opinion formed before entering the room. He hasn't ever nursed well and I feel like he's not drinking in general. But, she said as long as he has three wet diapers a day, he's fine. She said if he doesn't like milk and I want to discontinue nursing, we can give him water and make sure he gets his calcium in other ways like yogurt, spinach, cheese, etc. He needs 2-3 servings of calcium a day.

That said, he was down half a pound (to 20 lb 5 oz - or now the 10.48%) so she wants to see him again in August to confirm that his weight is starting to head in the right direction. I fear that while I'm finishing nursing he's not taking on enough, particularly hydration in these hot summer months. How I worry about my littlest man!

The doctor also checked his belly to see if she could feel tumors or something that would prevent him from drinking, but she said she didn't feel anything. Praise God! Please pray that he starts drinking better. He's taking a few sips of water out of a cup here or there, but nowhere near the amount of ounces they want him to have.
This month, I've noticed some huge changes in Ryan. First, he's talking more. I can't make out a ton of actual words, but we've heard things like his own version of the word "hat" when he puts a ring on his head or tries to put it on his own. This is his new favorite game. I remember playing it often with Joshua! Love! :) :) :)

Another thing I've noticed more is Ryan's dancing. As music comes on, he begins to bop away. It is the cutest thing! Love his grin when he's dancing, too!

Whereas I had been worried about him not waving or doing some of the old behaviors he had done, the pediatrician was right in that he's started doing them again and regularly. He just does them on his own time when he wants to.
The biggest change that I've really taken to heart is that I know Ryan understands what we're saying to him. As I was walking through his room holding him, I asked him if he'd like to turn off the light this time. He reached out and put the switch down. I asked him where my nose was, and he grabbed it immediately. I asked him to go bring me his ball so we could roll it (his other favorite game) and he went and got it and rolled it to me. There is definitely comprehension there of what we're saying as we talk to him. Yeah, buddy! I love to see you learn and grow and develop new skills!
We also had another new "first" for this household with Ryan. Sorry if this grosses anyone out (and my hubby may not think it appropriate) but this is for our memories and books, so I'm including it. The other morning I walked into Ryan's room and the smell was staggering. But, it was the mess that truly almost knocked me over. Up the back, down the leg, and somehow he had gotten it onto his hands since he was rolling around in his crib. Then, as he'd wipe his nose or play with his hair...well, you can imagine. I had to take a few pictures before stripping him in his crib and carrying him over to the bath tub.
I changed his sheets and cleaned everything up after scrubbing him down. None of our other kids have ever played in their messes before. YUCK! This has been our one and only experience like it...and I'm hoping we can say that forever.
Ryan is cruising well, and he'll walk holding our hands. He'll also walk with his walking toy. And he'll stand up for several seconds on his own. But, he has yet to take that bold, brave first step to walking on his own. I don't think it will be long now, though!
Happy 13-month birthday, little Ryan Josiah!

No comments: