Thursday, May 19, 2011

Prego - It's In There

The Saturday before Mother's Day, I went shopping with my Mom for Shawn's birthday. I had a couple specific items I was looking for, but I was most amused by the amount of people who stopped to ask me if this was my first mother's day. I explained that my older two boys were home with their daddy, but it made me realize that I look as pregnant as I feel. Most wished me luck with the next one's arrival, which I thought was very nice.

I realized I haven't posted anything about our baby boy in awhile. It's not because we haven't thought about him. On the contrary, we think of him often. We discuss names (please pray that we decide on one soon!), we talk about how we hope he falls right in step with his brothers who are so close, we pray that he is easygoing like Caleb and yet wanting to be right alongside people like Joshua, we imagine what life will look like this summer with a newborn, etc.

I've been going to my doctor's appointments right along. And while I used to really think highly of my OBGYN office, I've been less than impressed this pregnancy. They are far too busy for the staff they have, and almost every appointment I've waited for over an hour while someone was delivering a baby. Once or twice and it's an emergency/mix-up/mistake - all the time, and it's downright rude to the person waiting. I've never been turned away so far, though, and thankfully everything looks (fetal measurements) and sounds (heartbeat) good each time with this pregnancy. So I guess I shouldn't complain. BUT, when they called to say that they overbooked themselves on my scheduled c-section date and had to push it back a few days from a Friday to a Tuesday, I was livid. I can't change it by being upset, but it does sincerely irk me since I already had my childcare planned out, etc. It makes me want to have the baby come early all the more, I'll admit.

I've been reading through the Bible again, as I mentioned, and I just love the following verses that remind me how God has brought this little boy to life:
"13 For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book
   before one of them came to be." 
Psalm139:13-16

This is a good reminder that God has ordained the baby's days. While I would love to have him come sooner, only God's plans are the ones that matter. So, I'm praying that God has a special day (preferably sooner rather than later!) that our little guy will be born. As Joshua so aptly said "I think the baby will come on his birthday."

Here's what's been happening with our baby's development the past several weeks:

Week 31
Fetal Development:
Growth begins to slow a teeny bit, and the brain goes through a period of rapid development. The only major organ left to fully develop is the lungs. The baby's testes begin to descend from the body cavity to the scrotum.
Maternal Changes:
Your abdomen may be aching frequently now as your uterus is stretching more and more. Your uterus is about 4 1/2 inches above your belly button with ten weeks to go. As your baby's bones harden and grow, your calcium needs are even greater. Be sure your diet is adequate in calcium, protein, iron and folic acid.

 Week 32
Fetal Development:
The baby is up to four pounds now and all five senses are functional. The toenails are completely formed and the hair on the head continues to grow.

Week 33
Fetal Development:
At this point, the amniotic fluid is at the highest level in the pregnancy. The amount will remain constant until delivery. Rapid brain growth has increased the head size approximately 3/8 of an inch this week. Fat continues to accumulate which turns the baby's skin color from red to pink.

Week 34
Fetal Development:
The baby responds as a newborn with its eyes open while awake and closed while sleeping. He is developing immunities to fight mild infection. Those sharp little fingernails are at the ends of the fingertips already, and you might need to clip them during the first few days after birth.

Week 35

Fetal Development:
The average sized baby is around five and a half pounds now! The fat accumulations plump up the arms and legs this week. The baby has gotten big enough to take up most of the uterus, and there's less room to move around. The testes have completed their descent in males.

Week 36
Fetal Development:
With less than four weeks to go, our baby is almost ready. He could drop into the birth canal at any time now. This week, the fat is dimpling on the elbows and knees as well as forming creases in the neck and wrists. The baby's gums are very rigid.   
Signs of Labor:
Here are some of the signs that labor is approaching. You may not experience all of these symptoms or be aware of them:
  • Lightening ~ aka the baby dropped
  • Bloody Show ~ aka the mucous plug
  • Rupture of Membranes ~ aka your "water broke"
  • The Nesting Urge ~ aka you want to clean everything in sight
  • Effacement ~ aka ripening of the cervix
  • Dilatation ~ aka opening of the cervix
  • Diarrhea ~ aka you know this one
  • Contractions ~ aka OUCH those labor pains!

Week 37
Fetal Development:
Average size is around 6.5 pounds now! The baby practices breathing movements preparing for life outside the womb. His grasp becomes firm, and he will turn toward light.

No comments: