Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm Sleeping With Fishes Here...In the Belly of the Whale

As my boys have been thoroughly loving Bible stories, I was thinking more about the story of Jonah. Wasn't he a sad man? I find it interesting how the story ends. He never really did 'get it,' I don't think. When I notice things that are very similar in the Bible, I start to really think about them. Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days. Likewise, Jesus was raised from the dead in three days. What is the significance of the three days? Honestly, I'm not sure. In one of the children's books we have, it says that Jonah "sat in time out" for three days to "think about his disobedience." I had to laugh - the first time out was recorded in the Bible!

But, truly, I think there is a significance to the similar time frames. The story of Jonah tells us that God alone is judge. Jonah didn't think the people of Ninevah deserved the message of salvation. But, God reserves the throne of judgment for Himself. Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins. We were destined for an eternity of hell because of our sin, but Jesus' blood covers us. Do we deserve it? Not at all! But once again, God alone is judge. He doesn't base His decisions on what we see in the natural realm - He gets to judge and decide who to bless with His grace. He snatched the sting of death that Satan had and took the matter into His own hands.

Then I thought about it more - how many times are we like sad little Jonah? We think that someone doesn't deserve grace. What they've done is too wrong, particularly if it's done to us. But, are we to sit on our own throne of judgment? Or do we remember that we don't deserve the mercy we've been given and we pass the situation on to God, allowing Him His right to judge. And if He says "Grace," are we okay with His authority? Or do we question "Why?" or protest? Do we allow bitterness to come up like the weed in the story of Jonah?

This is a tough lesson that I think about often. I'll admit there are times that I want to be judge and stick it to someone else when I think they're wrong. But, I must submit to God's authority. He alone deserves to judge, and I know He will do so in righteousness, love and justice.

No comments: