Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Forgotten Reptile Friends

We got home late Tuesday night, as I posted before. On Wednesday morning, Joshua's preschool had an 'inside field trip' to see Forgotten Reptile Friends. I'd heard of this organization before since they do a lot on/with  WJTL. But, Forgotten Reptile Friends were so forgotten that I didn't remember about the field trip until his teacher reminded me. Yikes! I asked if the parents were supposed to stay or how that worked, and she said we were welcome to come along. So, Caleb & I stayed for that portion of Joshua's preschool day. The first half an hour, the children played (some parents aren't as punctual as others, so they didn't start the field trip until 9:30 to be safe). Here's Joshua with Mrs. Hilton - he was wearing Mr. Potato Head glasses.
Joshua's friend Ethan started playing with the foam letter & number puzzles. I was surprised when Joshua started helping him put it back together - he knew where many of the letters went. What a great way to learn! I think I'll have to try and find one of these. They were having lots of fun working on it together.
Caleb LOVES Joshua's preschool classroom. There is so much to look at and play with and explore! He always gravitates toward this kitchen - maybe because we don't have a play one at home? Two other little boys started growling his way (the best way I can describe it) and he wasn't phased at all, but the teacher's aide told the little boys to be calmer near the baby. :) The one little boy, Isaiah, had brought a frog from home to take with him, and the presenter thought that was cool and gave him a high five.
Soon enough, it was time to walk the whole way down to the gym, where we go on Fridays with our friends. The kids lined up and 'tickled' the walls along the way. Mrs. Hilton & I joked about fingerprints on walls at home or kids with colds that touch the wall right before your child does. Just then, Isaiah picked his nose and put his hand on the wall, and we laughed and laughed (thankfully, Joshua was in front of him in line). All the kids were pouring down to the gym, so we were keeping track by counting heads. One time, they accidentally counted Caleb and wondered why there were 11 kids ??? Haa!
Soon we were all there, and they laid out blankets for the kids to sit on. Here's Joshua's class. Lila is being held by Mrs. Ford. She wasn't too sure about Abraham, the big turtle. A child from the Friday-only class came to visit so he could see the presentation, and sat with our class. Mrs. Hilton pointed out her son, who I think she's looking at in this picture.
Soon the presentation started. This guy (I think his name was Jeff) let these snakes slither all over him, and even get in his shirt. YUCK! He told the children that you never touch a snake in the wild. Instead, it's important to remember three words - which the kids repeated after him - "STEP BACK, JACK!" Haaa!!! Several times throughout the presentation they were to say "Step back, Jack!" He said snakes don't attack unless provoked, so it's best to leave them alone. He also noted that we never hurt any creatures on purpose because everything is God's creation and serves a purpose here on earth. He said snakes eat mice, which is important.
The kids were all intrigued... except Caleb. I think it was too much after having to sit the entire day before in between driving to the airport, sitting on the airplane and then the long car ride home. He climbed on my back and played peek-a-boo, tried to go through another woman's bag (whoops!) and crawled around a little bit. At least he wasn't being loud, but he wasn't being good either. Thankfully, we had parked in the back row of our section. Joshua would be attentive for awhile and then turn around to see me and Caleb. He also wanted held by me, which wasn't really possible when Caleb was off & running. Mrs. Hilton held the Bean for a couple minutes to make him feel better. Then he got interested in the presentation again.
Here's an iguana. This was the only animal the man put big gloves on for. This thing ate an entire bunch of grapes as we watched, too. And there were more snakes - we learned about the various kinds. I enjoyed watching the kids expressions.
And finally he took out the gi-mammoth turtle (which is an amphibian, not mammoth... hee hee). His name is Abraham, and full grown he will weigh over 200 pounds! The kids were enthralled.
At the end of the presentation, they got to touch a snake with two fingers. Joshua tried to grab it, and the man gently reminded him "TWO FINGERS!" So, he took his two fingers back out, touched it and beamed. I thought he might be scared (some of his little friends wanted nothing to do with it), but Joshua followed his friend Brooke, pictured below. Then they got some hand sanitizer, and the class headed to the playroom.
After the 'field trip,' I left with Caleb and came back to pick up the Bean an hour later. I had so much to get done, but I'm glad I can do things with my kids, too. That afternoon I had school, and it felt like a fog with traveling and trying to unpack, etc. I have a bunch of grading to do still, so I'm glad that this week is my spring break. Hopefully I'll get caught up. But, I'm thankful to have seen the interesting presentation by Forgotten Reptile Friends. He was fantastic with kids!

No comments: