Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Last Week

I must finish blogging about last week so I can work on this week! Last Tuesday morning - the first Tuesday in June - was the first time that we should have had MOPS and didn't since it was summer break. They scheduled a playdate at the normal MOPS time for the Rapho Township Park, which had rubber terf instead of wood chips. It had rained in the morning, but I called my friend Becca to see if she was still game for going. Since she was, we decided to meet there at 10:30. Funny enough (since it was supposed to start at 9:30), I was the first one there from our church. But, there were tons of plain Mennonite gals who were very friendly and came up and talked to me, and then other gals from the MOPS group arrived. Joshua had a great time sliding & climbing and playing in general, but Caleb was a little restless. I can't wait for him to walk and be able to enjoy these things, too. While he's at a great age, there are moments where I wish for him that he was just a tad bigger.After I left there, I had some errands to run, and the boys were amazingly well behaved. That evening we were having Shawn's family over to celebrate a late Mother's Day and early Father's Day, and I needed buttercream icing, which he couldn't find the night before. At the last minute, I decided to allow Joshua to pick out gifts for them like I had done for Daddy, too. When we were in the store, I wasn't sure he was going to, but just like for Shawn, he found something for each that he was insistant upon. While the boys napped, I baked the spice cake and got things ready for the evening event. Then I got a call from Grandma & Grandpa, asking if they could come early. Sure! They were the first to arrive, and then Daddy came home, bringing with him Subway to eat. I quickly fed the boys & ate my delicious seafood sandwich.Here's Grandma trying to convince Joshua that he should eat another peanut butter & jelly triangle, which he did.Soon Brian & Gayle and Grant & Jenavieve arrived. They didn't stay for too long since Gayle had plans to go to the circus with the kids, and Brian had a softball game. Next to arrive was Missy & Kevin.We ate cake, ice cream and chips and played outside. While it had stormed earlier in the day, it was pretty nice out in the evening. I loved the pictures below because they remind me of little birds going to be fed...Here's Caleb pushing his stroller. We inherited it at a yard sale from our neighbors across the street when Joshua wouldn't let go of it when we were in his garage (they are always so sweet about giving us things for our boys as their kids are now getting older - they gave us our car, our swimming pool, our tricycle, etc.). It's not very sturdy, and most times Caleb has to stand and muscle this thing to try to keep it up rather than tipping over. He is determined to keep hold of it, though!Then he decided that it looked like fun to ride in the baby stroller.Joshua giggled at Caleb's silliness...then he decided he needed a turn, so Aunt Missy pushed him a little while.Caleb was off to find his "truck" to push around the yard. This is more sturdy and lets him be on the move.That is, until his brother hops into the seat and asks Caleb to push him! Silly boys!At one point, Caleb's shoe came off (Mom got Joshua Scooby Doo Crocs and Caleb Wall-E Crocs and they are adorable - thank you!!!), and Caleb worked at picking it up and bringing it to me.Soon folks started to leave, and we went inside and enjoyed some watermelon and gifts. Grandma & Grandpa got me "bahama mama" themed birthday gifts, including a cup with coconuts and a grass skirt. Thanks so much!I gave both boys baths that night after a long day of being outside, and poor little Joshua screamed during his - he had fallen at the Park that morning and really scraped up his knee. The water must have really burned it, and he cried and cried. I felt so bad. He still tells me about his boo-boo on his knee and asks me to kiss to make it all better. Soon enough, they were both in bed and we rested. And it was good. :)Wednesday night, it ended up being pretty chilly outside. We went to Sammy's (I think the real name is Pizza City) in Strasburg for cheesesteaks with Grandma & Grandpa. It was delicious! And afterward we stopped at the creamery for ice cream. It was downright cold then, so we went back to their "house" to hang out. The boys loved playing the game "no jumping on the bed, just lay down [then falling backwards]."Thursday, Papaw had to work in Williamsport, so we didn't see them that day. And, my brain is malfunctioning because I don't even remember what we did that day, other than probably just relax.Friday was my birthday. It started off wonderfully. Joshua came in and snuggled with us in bed, and Caleb woke up shortly thereafter, so Daddy brought him in to nurse. Since it was rainy and chilly, the four of us laid across our bed cuddling. It was a momma-moment. :) We then got dressed and headed out for breakfast sandwiches from McDonald's, Chai from Starbucks and driving around for a little. We then swung by the repo house I've been dreaming about, and I went in the front door and took pictures - the house is lovely but needs a lot of work. It's just a dream, though, because we could never even afford the taxes (which alone are more than our current mortgage payment). But, it's always fun to look!Shawn had taken off work that day (the best gift EVER!) and we spent the day as family. While the boys napped, we worked out, and then he gave me lots of time to get ready for dinner that night. Grandma & Grandpa arrived and we went to Fiorentino's by the airport, my favorite Italian restaurant. That night, they asked to keep Joshua overnight again, so we packed a bag for him and they soon left, after giving me a card where Joshua recorded "happy birthday, Momma!" We put Caleb to bed, and then we enjoyed some dessert, and Shawn gave me some gifts from him & the boys, including a cute t-shirt that says "World's Best Momma to Joshua Douglas & Caleb Luke", a Beth Moore book, a small chair to sit outside, and a gift-card to my favorite clothing store. Thanks, babe! It was a fantastic birthday. I was in a phenomenal mood all day, and the only thing that could have made the day better was sunshine. :)On Saturday, we met Grandma & Grandpa for breakfast at Cracker Barrel to pick up our Bean (and eat!). Joshua played for a little while at the playground there, and then we came home and took early naps with our bellies full of breakfast deliciousness.When we woke up, we started doing yardwork. Shawn had to teach me how to use our new self-propelled mower that Mom gave us (thanks!). It was very different, but I got used to it after a few swipes. As I was finishing, Grandma & Grandpa stopped in to visit. I took a load of our yard waste to the dump as they visited and then came back and got dressed. Shawn also took a shower and got ready, and we headed out again to Lititz Family Cupboard since Shawn's mom loves that restaurant. It was very good! Grandma road with me and Shawn road with Grandpa, and Joshua was so upset that Grandma wasn't in the red car with him. (He got over it, thought, eventually.) Both boys ate well once again, and we visited for awhile after dinner, then we bid them farewell on their journey to sell their cabin. Sunday morning, we drove around and listened to a sermon that we had missed from church (Shawn downloaded one off the internet and burned it to a CD). We also went to the Children's Place to buy my nephew Daniel a gift for his party that afternoon, and when we passed the hotel where Grandma & Grandpa had stayed, Joshua said 'Bye-bye, Mamaw & Papaw's house.'Sunday afternoon, we went to Daniel's 2nd birthday party. I can't believe he's two years old already! I got some adorable pictures there that I'll have to post sometime.
Now we're back to Monday, which I already posted with Caleb's birthday pictures. More on this week to come!

No comments: