Saturday, June 13, 2009

First Steps & Other Firsts

On Wednesday, June 10, Caleb took his first step in the office and then immediately fell to the ground. I had been on the phone with Daddy asking him a question, so we both got to experience it, even though he wasn't here to see it. He took another one at my friend Becca's house on Friday morning when we were there for a playdate with her daughters Alayna & Kyla and our friend Melanie and her daughter Abby. This time he didn't fall, but he had reached me. He gave me a proud grin afterward. This morning he took another one in between the chair and toy box without falling, but again he was close so it just took one to get where he was going. Great job, Caleb! It won't be long now, buddy, til you're racing after Joshua!Joshua also has had some new firsts this week. On Thursday, June 11, he ate cereal with milk all by himself. Since I'm not big on messes, I haven't given him milk on cereal but rather let him eat dry cereal or a hot breakfast. But, he LOVES my low-carb special K and I had measured out my bowl with an exact 3/4 cup portion and 1/2 cup skim milk. Since I was trying to count my calories, I decided to give him his own bowl with milk and all. He LOVED it and did a FANTASTIC job. He had a few times that a little milk dripped on his "big boy bibby" but for the most part it all went down the hatch. Well done, my little one!
That same day, Joshua peed on the potty before his nap and afterward, telling me both times immediately after he put his 'water in the potty.' I thought we had turned a corner, but yesterday and today he wanted nothing to do with the potty. I know it takes time and encouragement... and prayer! I'm excited for the progress we're making and hope that there's more to come. I'm looking for ideas for rewards. Chocolate and ice cream have not worked (he could really care less), he doesn't really care about stickers all that much, and offering to allow him to wear big boy underpants was the absolute opposite of exciting... anyone have ideas other than candy or sweets that don't really matter to him? Please let me know!

No comments: