Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Today's "Big Winner"

Today Joshua & I met Shawn for lunch because we needed whole milk and it gave us an excuse to get out. On the way there, I heard WJTL announce a contest to "name that classic" for a gift certificate to Infinito's Pizza Buffet. For whatever reason, I dialed WJTL but waited to hit send until I saw if I knew the song (sad that the classics are ones I tend to know). Sure enough, it was Newsboys "I'm not ashamed" so I hit send and let the phone ring at least 20 times. I was about to give up when John Shirk answered and asked if I was calling for the contest. I thought he was going to say that they already had a winner but instead he asked me if I knew the correct answer. Woohoo! I've never been to Infinito's, so it was nice to win.
More than that, I didn't feel like a big winner today. It was a really raunchy day, in fact. The end of the semester is always horrible at school. Students that haven't done any work all semester come out of the woodwork to find out why they aren't doing well in my class. Case in point, one kid has missed eight classes out of the 13 we've had so far, including an exam. Part of me feels like I'm not showing him enough grace and part of me says, "DUH!" I also have a couple of groups that did a project together where one student didn't pull their weight, etc. It's just a lot of hassle, and I hate feeling like I want to give mercy but at the same time be just to all. How does God feel? I know He's given me grace over and over again. On the other hand, I feel like Millersville is paying me to be fair in my grading standards and practices. Please pray for wisdom for me!
On top of all that, the LCHRA is insisting we pay the tree guy who damaged our broken sidewalks, instead of paying for them to be fixed. Now, the tree guy himself said he just wanted to walk away - he's not expecting to be paid (and basically said he doesn't want to be) and does not want to fix the damage he caused. He literally wants to walk away. I don't understand why after all this time (this was back in November) the LCHRA is taking the liberty to say that he should get paid and we should be the ones to get screwed on the deal. It makes no sense to me. I was angry today. Very angry. I don't have a long fuse to begin with, but I was more angry than I've been in a long time. I didn't direct it at anyone or talk with them directly (thankfully Shawn is dealing with these folks) but nasty thoughts were on my mind all day long, which doesn't make you feel very good. And, it doesn't help me in being a good momma to the Bean. Again, I'm praying that God takes the anger out of my heart and at the same time gives wisdom to the folks from the LCHRA. But, when you're this upset, sometimes it's hard to find the right words to pray...
On an up note, Joshua and I had a fun time playing with a flashlight today. I was trying to teach him "on" and "off" and he can say "off" pretty well. Then I'd sing "This Little Light of Mine"...what a great toy that just happened to be out from Daddy going into the attic! Joshua also says "apple" well now and ate an entire container of sliced apples. I kept putting the lid on and then he would ask for more until he polished off the entire thing. Impressive!

No comments: