Friday, April 11, 2008

80 Degrees Turns Into 103

Yesterday was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and a gentle breeze was blowing. Mom said it got up to the low 80s, but I thought it was only supposed to be in the high 70s. Anyway, it was the kind of day that you want to last forever...or at least that's how it started. The finishing touches were being put on our kitchen (it feels like our house has been torn apart forever!), so I decided to take Joshua outside. He felt slightly warm to me in the morning, but after taking his temperature, it was 98.7 in one ear and 99.1 in the other. So, I figured we were safe. But, he didn't seem to want to play outside. We had bought a giant rubber ball at Target the night before and no matter what I did, it didn't seem to lure him into exploring or having fun. Hmmm... I took him in for lunch and then called my sister to see if she'd like to go for a walk with her kiddos to the park. Maybe I'm just not as fun to play with as other kiddos would be, I thought. So, once we were done eating (the only thing he would eat was yogurt, but I was just glad he ate something), we drove to my sisters and I put him in his stroller while she pushed Daniel and...Grace. Emma decided she would rather walk, so 50+ pound Grace decided to take advantage of the opportunity to be pushed along with the getting-close-to-30 pound Daniel. Poor Jen!

Last time we were at the park, Joshua LOVED it. He went down the slide a few times and just seemed to enjoy himself overall. This time, however, he cried when I put him on the slide and on the swings and was just content to be held. He felt warm to me, but I was warm too. It was so beautiful outside! Eventually I said to Jen that we were going to head back since I thought maybe the problem was that it was past his nap time. She said that the same was true for Daniel, so we all packed it up and headed back. Joshua fell asleep in the stroller and when we got home, he was so sweaty that I stripped him down to his diaper to nap. When he woke up, he was still just as sweaty and hot. I held him and rocked him for a few minutes, but I noticed he kept holding his breath and grunting. Uh-oh, I thought. I grabbed the thermometer again. This time it read 103 degrees. Oh no! I called the pediatrician immediately. He had pulled at his ear, and I didn't want to take any chances. We saw Dr. Haught who said that his son just had a similar virus - Joshua's lungs sound fine, his ears look good, and everything's okay except for an outrageously high fever. Dr. Haught's son is a little older than the Bean and told his daddy that his head hurt. So, Dr. Haught suggested that Joshua's pulling at his face, along with the grunting, is a sign of a bad headache. We're to let it run its course...which he said is around five days.

Bummer. It's gorgeous out again today, and they're still working on our house. BUT, I didn't want to push the Bean by taking him out. Instead, I've literally held and rocked him and snuggled with him all day. We even missed our Mommies & Me class and lunch with Nonie. :( Last night Daddy held Joshua for a few minutes, but he cried out for Momma. I guess there's no one like your mom when you're sick. I held him until past midnight last night when he finally nodded off. I think at that point the tylenol kicked in, so he wasn't feeling quite as uncomfortable. Today, though, he's been very grumpy. The only reason I can post now is that I finally got him to rest a little. Please pray for a quick recovery! And pray that he won't get sick anymore! I'm sick of Joshua being sick!!!

No comments: