Saturday, April 19, 2008

Outside...and Other New Words

Yesterday, Joshua received a package from Grandma & Grandpa Ginder...what great timing for his 19-month birthday! In it was a little note and a t-shirt that said "I'm a keeper." (Thanks!!!) So, he wore his new t-shirt today along with a pair of shorts and sneakers for our outside festivities. The day was absolutely gorgeous again...it was in the low 80s with the sun shining and a cool breeze blowing. Shawn & I agreed you couldn't ask for nicer weather.
So, today we spent the entire day outside doing yard work. I've been bragging that this entire pregnancy I've felt so great...well, bending over to pick up sticks and raking grass and pulling weeds...let's just say I FEEL extraordinarily pregnant today. And with the summer-like weather, I felt a little anxious that the baby's arrival is nearing...
Joshua loved being outside in the morning as we prepared the yard, and I took him for a walk in the stroller while Daddy mowed the back yard, which kept us both safe. Later while Joshua napped, I helped Daddy start clearing out some brush. We barely made a dent in our overgrown jungle, but I realize Rome wasn't built in a day. I started feeling overwhelmed...how do people keep up with everything? Raising kids, doing yardwork, cleaning their house, doing laundry, cooking, budgeting, working, volunteering, visiting with friends... later when I took a break to drink some water and sit for a few moments in the shade, I felt a little better. I guess people do as much as they can and then work more the next day. Funny that today is when I posted the passage from Joshua's book on "discipline." I guess I needed some today, too.
After Joshua woke up from his nap, we took a break. I got a nice shower, we went to Home Depot to get some yard things we needed and then headed to dinner at the new Cici's pizza buffet near Target since neither of us felt like cooking. Joshua was very well-behaved. Shawn told me the cute story of when he was driving with Joshua earlier and had to slam on his brakes for an idiot driver - Joshua said "uh-oh!" at the appropriate time that cracked Shawn up. What a ham! When we got home from supper, one of our neighbors gave us a plastic toy car for Joshua to ride in. He wasn't comfortable getting in yet, but he loved holding the steering wheel, honking the horn and pushing it around. Meanwhile, Daddy & I started weeding the flowerbed out front. What a job! And, there were so many ants and yucky stuff where I was trying to sit/kneel. Shawn took over while I played with Joshua, and then I cleaned up his piles (and I do mean PILES of weeds). Joshua got down to try and help Daddy, which was adorable. Of course I grabbed the camera! Then, he actually was helpful in putting some of the weeds from the piles into the trash bag. The more I praised him, the more weeds went into the garbage bag.
Eventually, though, he wanted to be where Daddy was and was getting in the way. So, I took him to my sister's house where Grandma was watching all four kiddos. Joshua took turns going down their slide and playing with the rubber ball and following my nieces around. He loved it, and I enjoyed seeing them. When we got home, Daddy was all finished, so we decided to go out for icecream. Hooray!!!
Joshua now says 'outside' (new today, I think), 'all done,' 'upf' (for up), help please (the help is a little hard to hear, but it sounds very close), 'more drink', 'more please,' 'dadda,' 'momma,' 'shoe,' 'bye,' 'hello,' 'tickle tickle,' 'no,' 'yes,' 'sure,' 'quack,' 'moo,' 'ribbit,' 'uh-oh,' 'coat,' 'wha dis' (meaning what's this?), 'more dis' (more of this) and a few other things that I'm drawing a blank on. His vocabulary grows by the day. Gerome thought we might be expecting a lot for him to be able to use two words together, but the other day I was cutting grapes for him as he was eating his lunch and had given him a few while I tried to finish preparing the rest. All the sudden I realized he was trying to get my attention (my back was to him) and he said clear as day "mama, mama, more dis' please." I was thoroughly impressed and praised him, saying "you can have all the grapes you want when you ask so nicely!!!" Shawn & I have noticed him growing in leaps and bounds. He's still banging his head some, but I've noticed that it's gotten a little less frequent as I'm trying to give him things to do instead of saying 'no.' I think that's been huge in helping him. Plus, us encouraging him to ask for what he wants helps him, too, as he builds his vocabulary.
After we got back from Rita's, I bathed Joshua and put him in PJ's while Daddy relaxed. Then Daddy read Joshua his bedtime story tonight and now he's sound asleep. Speaking of which...sleep doesn't sound so bad. Goodnight!

No comments: