Saturday, April 26, 2008

More 'Good' Fun

Joshua & I had another good day yesterday. We went to our Mommies & Me class, which was on consistency and re-directing behavior (too funny that the things they've been talking about are exactly what I've been going through with the Bean). He loved playing with the other kids, but he had been up since 5 am and was a little tired by the time we left. We headed straight from there to Freeze & Frizz in Leola to meet Nonie, Aunt Gayle, Grant & Jennavieve for lunch. Joshua ate like a champ (hooray!) and enjoyed playing with Grant outside. He was exhausted by the time we left and fell asleep promptly in the car, then took a solid two-hour nap at home.
When he woke up, we played some more. I took out the container of beads and we worked at putting them together (pushing them in place is a little hard for him at times) and then I made it a circle. I called it a hat and put it on my head. He giggled and tried to put it on his head, but it was too big and became his necklace, which he also enjoyed. I kept telling him we were making a "circle" and he repeated "grcle" and would try to put it back together when one of the beads would come apart. Then, I'd put it back on my head and would (fake) sneeze it off, saying "achoo!" and letting it fall down. He cracked up and laughed and laughed each time, handing it back to me and saying 'achoo!' This week we've also worked on knowing where his belly is. He lifts his shirt and points to his belly button when I ask where his belly is now. And, he wants to lift my shirt and Daddy's shirt to point to our bellies. The other thing I taught him yesterday was how to pour. He didn't quite understand the concept of turning his wrist (something that comes naturally for us - these are things I forget he needs to be taught). I praised him each time he poured, and he was loving it. Of course, we also read books in there, which he has begun to sit still and listen to again and help me turn the pages. We had a really fun time until Daddy got home.
When Shawn was on the way home, he called on his cell as usual to tell me when to expect him. During our conversation, he complimented me on my trying new approaches to teach Joshua and said he sees him really growing now, especially with his vocabulary. It was the best thing I think he's ever said to me...parenting is an area where I feel like I lack the skill, knowledge and patience to be truly effective but an area that I desire to grow more and more in since I love Joshua so much. Shawn telling me that he thinks I'm doing a good job blessed me more than he'll ever know.
Then we went out to dinner to celebrate. I'm so proud of him for working so hard, 'bringing home the bacon' and obviously doing a good job at work. Joshua ate really well again at dinner, too, thank God. I'm blessed to have two wonderful boys in my life and a third that's been kicking my ribs like crazy!
After we came home, I graded some papers outside while the boys played some more. Joshua LOVES watching the birds who come to feed in our backyard and points at them saying "tweet, tweet, tweet." He also likes to bat at the balls and push his little car, and he asks for help to kick the bigger ball. He's so adorable to watch. Eventually we came in and Shawn got Joshua changed into his PJ's while I continued working since I had gotten nothing accomplished throughout the day. Joshua was a cuddle bug again last night (the night before I had given him a bath to wash those dirty feet and body, and he cuddled with me rather than playing afterward...but I thought he was just tired from having a busy day). Last night in his PJ's, he would sit with Daddy and then come and sit with me. I saw him rubbing his eyes furiously, so I asked him if he would like to go night-night. To my surprise, he said "okay" and got down and started walking toward the stairs. Shawn took him up and said he grabbed his blankey right away and went right to sleep.
BUT...he woke up again at 4:45 this morning ready to start the day. Noooooo.... Shawn brought him into bed with us. Joshua loved it. He wasn't sleeping, but he'd cuddle with Daddy and then come cuddle with me. I wonder if he had a bad dream??? Eventually, we took him back to his crib so we could get some more sleep before meeting Nonie & Poppy for breakfast. Joshua's going to spend the day at their house so we can have some together time. Hooray!

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

I'm finally getting caught up on you guys. Sounds like it has been lots of fun at the Good house. Maybe we can get together on Thursday if you don't have other plans. I think we're all healthy again.

Miss you and love you!
Julie