Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Baby Boy Good

***ARRIVAL DATE***
The scheduler from Lancaster Physicians for Women finally returned my phone call and told me that she had a really hard time scheduling my C-section. (Duh! I knew it was supposed to be on a holiday). Because of the timing, they decided on July 8, which is later than it should be but probably still okay. Ugh!!! I was really hoping they would schedule it earlier rather than later or that I would get some sort of say in the matter, which is not the case. I'm assuming that one of the three doctors might be on vacation on and around the 4th of July. Technically, I should have been scheduled for any day between Thursday, July 3 to Sunday, July 6. I'm a little disappointed in having to wait until Tuesday, July 8; however, I know that all our sons days on earth have been ordained (Psalm 139:16). If God wants our son to come sooner, He'll make me go into labor. After all, my due date for Joshua means nothing anymore...his birthday was much earlier. Hopefully our next little one stays put a little longer. So, mark your calendars for 7/8/08!
Week 27 Gestation
Fetal Development:
During this week, the brain continues its rapid growth, and the lungs continue to grow. Eyelids begin to open, and the retinas begin to form. The baby will grow over 1/2 inch this week and will be about 1 1/3 feet long (from crown of head to the toes or 9.6 inches from crown to rump)!

Maternal Changes:
Congratulations! You've finished the second trimester already! You may be experiencing some shortness of breath. Your uterus is close to your rib cage now, and your lungs may not be able to fully expand. Don't worry though. Your baby isn't lacking oxygen and your circulatory system is actually working more efficiently thanks to those pregnancy hormones that have caused you so much discomfort.

Ideas for Dad:
It's 2 am, and you're blissfully dreaming about winning the Indy 500 in record-breaking time. Suddenly, you're awakened by a pregnant woman who is shaking the buttons off your pajamas. You come to your senses (or at least you think you do), sit straight up in bed and ask her if she's sure it's time. "No, of course it's not time. But I HAVE to have some cold mooshy McDonald's french fries NOW or I'll just DIE. Hurry, PALEEEEEEZE." Nope, it's not labor . . . it's cravings! She's craving weird things, and you just want to sleep. She's insistent and you know there'll be no sleep until you go. What's a dad to do? Sound remotely familiar? Think of this as preparation for being awakened in the middle of the night by the baby - and you won't have to go to McDonald's for him. Try your best to suggest healthy snacks for Mom but realize at this point, your suggestions may not carry a lot of weight. If all else fails, keep your slippers by the front door and your car keys handy!

Inspirational Thoughts:
A flower has to go through a lot of dirt before it can bloom. ~Unknown

**************
Yesterday, I finally went and did the glucose test and other bloodwork for baby. Aunt Missy was gracious enough to watch Joshua, and he had a great time playing with her and the puppies. Thanks so much! I should have brought my camera along! I, on the other hand, did not have such a fun time. I thought this test was a breeze with Joshua. They make you drink some koolaid-type crap and then you get your blood drawn. Piece of cake! Only yesterday, I had a hard time getting down the ice cold, corn syrup-type substance. I had to work really hard not to throw it up. I kept telling myself that if I allowed my body to violently vomit it out, which is what my body kept signaling it was about to do, they would make me drink it again. Then they reminded me that I had to wait an hour to have the blood drawn. Ugh! It was torture. I was hot, my belly was nauscious and I had to give a urine sample in this dingy public bathroom on top of everything else. I was glad when it was finally my turn to go back and have my blood drawn. I felt woozy still as I left but got better throughout the day. That is definitely not how I felt with this test with Joshua. I'm just glad it's over! Hopefully I should have the results back at my doctor's appointment next week.

No comments: