Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Walking & Words

This morning I was feeling kind of down that Joshua wasn't talking more than he is. For awhile I thought he was really advanced, but he doesn't say much at all anymore. Then today as I was holding him, he bellowed out "DOWN!" clear as day. I said, "don't you want to be held for a minute?" and he replied "DOWN!" I told Shawn what I thought I heard, and Shawn confirmed it when I came home from class tonight. Shawn had picked Joshua up, and Joshua said "down!" We'll see if he keeps it up. He's not waving goodbye anymore, but I've forgotten to keep doing it. I know he'll only learn through repetition. I wasn't feeling down about there being anything wrong with the Bean - I was feeling like I've been a bad momma for not being consistent with my teaching.

This morning I didn't have any writing projects, so we played much of the day. He loves a book that Nonie & Poppy got him for his birthday that has lots of pictures and the words for them. I also got out the CD of sing-along songs from Grandma & Grandpa Ginder. When Joshua finally laid down for a nap, I got ready for school and called and scheduled Joshua's follow-up appointment with Dr. D on 10/22. I also scheduled family Christmas portraits. :) Nonie came just as I was finishing getting ready for class and took Joshua for a walk. She also started showing him how to go down the stairs since he can climb them, and watching her was really helpful to me to learn how to teach him. She also blessed us by sweeping and mopping our kitchen floor, which was a huge help and very sweet of her. Last week she asked me what she could do for me if Joshua slept, and I said that I wanted to clean his toys with clorox wipes since he had been sick, and she did. It was sooo nice. Thank you, Nonie!

When I got home from school, Shawn informed me that Joshua was walking with his walker toy lent to us by my friend Julie (thanks!). I couldn't believe it! I had been trying to show him that this morning, but he refused to cooperate and instead we played chase Joshua as he crawls the circle of our living room/dining room/kitchen. He'd giggle as I'd get close and then I'd let him get ahead...it was cute. So after school, I was impressed to hear that he had been motoring. And, I got to see it for myself. The only thing is that he gets madder than a wet hen when he runs into the wall with his toy. I tried to show him how to back up his feet and turn the toy, but he wasn't having it. Of course, it was getting late so I think he might have been tired. So, to bed he went. This is the first night of no bottle before bed. He passed right out, though. He had no bottles at all today.

Today I made Joshua & me pancakes for breakfast, beef stroganoff with carrots & peas for lunch (Daddy came home to eat - hooray!), and I made roast beef in the crockpot to have for supper when I got home from class. Shawn actually made the potatoes, green beans and garlic bread to go with the meat I had cooked, but it was a full day of eating for Joshua. Although, I must say that he didn't seem to enjoy dinner all that much. He did eat two whole pancakes for breakfast this morning, which impressed me with his little body. Monday I made french toast for us for breakfast, and he seemed to enjoy that, too. He also liked the grilled cheese and soup I made him. Hooray! I think we may have turned the corner on him eating more and gaining enough weight to be healthy.

I've realized during this time that it's not the cooking I mind so much, it's the planning and grocery shopping. If I have something here to make, I'll cook away. But, ask me to go to the grocery store and you might get a pouty face.

Joshua seemed to be himself today, but he still has diarrhea. His poor little cheeks are so red and raw that he screams when I wipe him. I feel so bad. I keep putting ointment on, but he goes so frequently that I'm constantly wiping it off, too. Please, Lord, give him relief! And, me too! He woke up at the crack of dawn from a stinky diaper, so I snuggled him this morning until about 8 am. That's the latest we've woken up in a long time, and it was nice to have some cuddle-time with the normally busy, busy Bean.

Other than playing, cooking and working, I cleaned the house some today and did a couple loads of laundry. It was a full day, but I didn't get to the gym. Hopefully I'll get to go soon! Speaking of soon, we should soon have pictures coming to the website. Shawn purchased a new camera for us, and as soon as I learn how to use it, we'll be good to go!

I had a really good day today. I got a lot done during my office hours at school, which meant I don't have as much to work on at home. I was also told that they may have some sections available for adjunct professors next semester, which I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. It really is a good part-time job, and I also love writing. My hope, though, is to be better at being a mom and teaching Joshua.

I'll end this post with another cute thing that Joshua has been doing lately. If I smack my lips together, he'll lean in and give me a kiss. I showed Shawn who did the same thing with the same result. There is nothing better than seeing Joshua grin and lean in for a kiss...so cute! I love our little one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Val. I'm so glad that Joshua is feeling better!! I sometimes feel bad about not "teaching" them more too but then I'll hear or see them do something that I do and I realize they're learning all the time just by watching me. :) Hope you're enjoying this cozy day! Love you.

Anonymous said...

No more bottles! Isn't it liberating? :-) And he walked with the push toy! Now THAT was a big day! (By the way, Elliott went through that phase of getting mad when he ran into the wall. He'll learn to turn it soon.)
Kristen