Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back at the Doctor's Office - Another Scare

This afternoon I met Shawn for lunch and realized that my car didn't sound right. We discovered a nail in the tire. Dangit! It's always something...grrr. We were planning on getting it fixed tonight, which didn't work out. This afternoon, Joshua sounded really bad from this cold. He was wheezy and not acting like himself, and I couldn't take it anymore. There had to be something they can give a little guy, right? Well, I was glad I took him in. After listening to him, Dr. Reilly noted that he was not only wheezing but he was breathing "tight," rapidly and retracting (whatever that last one means). She told me how to count his breaths. To be normal, he should have 20 respirations per minute. He had 40, and 50 would send him to the hospital. They then took his blood oxygen level. It should be at exactly 100. His was 95, and 92 sends you to the hospital immediately. In a nutshell, he's struggling to breath. She gave him two nebulizer treatments and sent me home with a machine to do once every four hours for him, even thoughout the night. She also gave me a prescription for the nebulizer solution (medicine that opens up your bronchial tubes, similar to an inhaler for asthma) and a prescription for steroids to make his 1.5 lungs stronger. It was a heartbreaking experience. For one, I wasn't expecting news quite like that, and two Joshua FREAKED out at this mask. I had to hold him down, and I tell you he's getting stronger even though he's still not gaining weight (he's at 20 lbs 12 oz). It took all of my energy to keep him from tearing off the mask or the blood oxygen senser. He was screaming and thrashing. I think he's just tired of being at the doctor's office and scared of the needles that typically accompany such an event. When we left, he was exhausted and so was I. But, I had prescriptions to fill, dinner to make for him, etc. So, the tire will have to wait - Shawn can drive the Rodeo and I'll take the Volvo tomorrow. I'm also being evaluated by the department chair at MU tomorrow night - please pray that that goes well, especially knowing I'll be on extremely limited sleep. Most of all, pray that our little one gets well and that we are done with doctors and hospital visits. I think we've had enough. I'm concerned that we're treating the symptoms (which is good since that deals with his breathing) but I want to also make sure we're getting rid of the cold, which is what's causing this issue to begin with...Lord, help us!

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

Okay, can I start by saying Joshua is so stinkin' cute I can't even stand it! Suddenly he's like a little boy--not so much a baby. I think it's the standing/walking thing. It's amazing! So cute!!!

And, I'm sorry to hear how things have been going. Ugh! We all have rotten colds too. I'm glad you went to see the doctor and I truly do hope that Joshua will be feeling better soon! I agree--enough is enough already!!!

Love you!
Julie