Friday, October 26, 2007

Rainy Daze

Yesterday was chilly, rainy and gray outside. It felt like a good day to stay in and bake something. Unfortunately, our cupboards and fridge were bare. I had already cleaned my entire house this weekend, including bathrooms, mopping, etc. So, after lunch I packed up Joshua and we headed to Provident & Giant. He was sounding very wheezy when I put him in the car, so I got out his inhaler & mask and gave him a treatment right then and there. He hates it, but he sounded like he could breathe easier once I did. From there we went to Provident to buy pastor appreciation cards. This was the second round of cards because Shawn had accidentally thrown the first bag away, which also had Thanksgiving cards in it for Grandma Kennel & Grandpa Georgia. Whoops! As I stood in line with Joshua, everyone was oohing and awwing at how cute he was. He could have cared less. All the sudden he declared "DOG!" I gently said, I don't see a doggy in here, sweetie pie. The woman in front of me turned around and showed me the book she was holding. Again, Joshua said "DOG!" and on the cover were the "Twelve Dogs of Christmas" complete with pictures of puppies & dogs. Could he have seen her book? I think maybe he did.

We then went to Giant. I absolutely hate grocery shopping to begin with, and having Joshua in public can be an adventure in and of itself. Our trip started with me clipping him into a cart and taking off...only to find that once again I got a cart with a half-immovable & very-squeeky wheel. I didn't care this time, though. He hadn't protested to me putting him in it, and I wasn't going to take my chances on trying to get another one. My theory is that every cart in America must operate this way...at least when I get them. Other than that, thought, my shopping trip was EXCELLENT! I found just about everything I needed on my list and Joshua was an angel the whole time. In each aisle, I'd let him play with something else I was buying from a can of green beans to a bag of pretzels, etc. When he'd throw it out of the cart, I'd pick it up and put it in the back and find something else for him to examine. That kept him quiet the entire time, and I had lots to get.

I can't believe how busy the grocery store was on a rainy Thursday afternoon. You would have thought the weather channel had declared blizzard on a Saturday morning. It was a zoo! I had to bag my own groceries - I guess the $125+ that I spent didn't earn me the right to customer service - but I didn't mind because that let me keep all my cold things together, frozen things together, pantry things together, etc. and I didn't make any bags so full that the handles would break. Again, people swarmed Joshua to say how handsome he was and he looked at me like, "are you ready yet?"

When we got home, I put him in his crib before unloading the car. By the time I was in with all the bags, he had nodded off to sleep. From there I unpacked and put away everything and started baking. First I made Grandma Ginder's butter, garlic & onion pretzels...mmmm! Then I started chocolate chip cookies. These did not turn out so well...I think the recipe called for too much flour, which I made note of for next time I make them. When Joshua woke up, I brought him down to the kitchen with some toys and he played while I continued to bake. Shawn didn't get home until almost 7 pm, later than I was expecting...with his own full load of groceries. I had already fed Joshua his supper and was going to cook for us, but I ate too much cookie dough and Shawn had so many cookies that neither of us were hungry. It was almost 8:30 when I cleaned up the last speck on the kitchen counter. So, I took Joshua upstairs for his bath and Shawn went back out...we had both missed getting diapers. Shawn took out the trash (thank you, my love!) and I got Joshua ready for bed. After his breathing treatment, he cuddled up with his blanket in his crib and fell asleep while we watched a little TV and nodded off ourselves. It was a busy day of doing what felt like nothing real productive. But I was thoroughly exhausted. It must be the rain.

No comments: