Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fall Fun

Last night when Shawn got home, I had my hair & makeup done and put on an outfit that he always comments that I look nice in. I was hoping we'd be able to go out and do something as I was feeling particularly stir crazy yesterday. Unfortunately, we couldn't think of anything to do that would be fun with a Bean. Shawn wasn't into going to the Farm Show, and we didn't think Field of Screams was a good idea with a one-year old. I didn't see any area churches advertising fall festivals last night, and Dutch Wonderland's fall activities would have cost upwards of $40 to get into, and we weren't sure that Joshua would even enjoy it. We were going to head to the Hands On House, but I read that it was designed for kids ages 2 and up. I think if we go there it might be nice to join another family just in case Joshua doesn't seem thrilled, then we didn't feel like it was a complete waste. We thought about Barnes & Nobles, but we thought Joshua might be too restless and loud for that atmosphere. We kept searching, and finally we just made dinner here and called it a night. I was a little bummed, but such is life. We should have planned something more in advance. We typically try not to plan things for Friday nights because Shawn is always exhausted after a long week of work, but my work week was light and I wanted to get out and be in the world a little bit. I wish our church had a mom's group like my sisters; Maple Grove just seems like much too far to drive from here for me. However, there aren't a lot of folks our age and our stage of life in our church.
This morning I made french toast for breakfast, and Shawn & Joshua seemed to enjoy it. I don't think it's nearly as good as my mom always made it. I don't think I'm quite getting the consistency of the eggs quite right and we're using low-carb whole grain bread. That's good for the most part, but it makes pretty thin french toast. Afterward, we went outside to start yard work and ended up seeing our neighbors and talking to them for awhile. They are really sweet. Their son needs help with proofreading and I offered to help him whenever they need. I truly don't mind, and their kids are really nice, too. We'll see if they take me up on the offer. While we were talking to them, Joshua got his car toy that Dad bought us for outside and started walking behind it. I didn't realize the handle would work to help him walk, but he was LOVING it. Every once in awhile, though, he falls sideways. It's almost like he's on a ship. Soooo cute!
After they went inside to get ready to take their kids to some sort of practice (football, cheerleading, etc.) we started raking leaves. We have a leaf blower, but our extension cord isn't long enough. So, I was raking and then Shawn would blow the leaves right where I had been even though there was a method to my madness. I didn't mind, but I started losing interest... So, it didn't last terribly long, which was fine because Joshua wanted attention anyway. So, I got out the camera and started taking shots. I think Shawn did better (and was quicker) without me anyway. We had fun outside - it is an absolutely GORGEOUS day.
After we were finished, Shawn left to go golfing. Joshua hadn't napped yet, so I laid him down and he passed out immediately. Thus, I'm back inside...by myself...again. For awhile we were so busy I couldn't stand it, and now I think the pendulem is swinging the other way. I know we'll find a happy medium. Tonight we're going out with Nonie & Poppy, Brian & Gayle & Grant, and Jordon to celebrate Brian's birthday. Missy & Kevin can't make it, though.

I should do some things around the house or getting further ahead with my school work. We'll see. Before he left, Shawn bought a song for me from iTunes called "Sunday!" by Tree63. I've been hearing the song on WJTL & loving it. "...darkness is already crumbling...It's Friday, but Sunday is coming!" I'm emailing, blogging & listening to music. Sometimes that's nice, too, for awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so cute. I can't believe how big he has grown since the last time i saw him! Till I see him next, he probably will be walking! It is so hard to believe that it is time for him to start walking. They grown up so fast!!