Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Farm Show

The ride to the Farm Show... My friend Kristen invited me to the Manheim Farm Show yesterday, but I couldn't go since I had class. So, I called my sister Jen to see if she'd like to take the kids today. I was impressed that we fit three strollers, five kids, two diapers bags and two adults in her mini-van. Joshua laughed the whole way there and back at Grace (left) and Faith (right). Emma fell asleep on the way home, but Daniel - who was facing the other way (pictured below) - stayed awake the whole time.When we got close, Grace said she was feeling car sick, so I told her to sing her ABC's and we would be there. She told me that Joshua sang with her up to the letter 'E' but I don't think I quite believe her. When we found our parking spot, it was pouring down rain! We had to walk over the covered bridge to the first building where we saw a 330 pound pumpkin. It was huge! And it won the blue ribbon for "Best of Show." Faith kept showing me all the blue ribbons on pumpkins, tomatoes, apples, pieces of pie, jams & jellies, etc. We saw the decorated pumpkins, including a "Hawaiian" pumpkin, a "mousey" pumpkin, a "monkey" pumpkin, a "globe" pumpkin (which was very cool), a "froggy" pumpkin and my personal favorite, a "porcupine" pumpkin that had sharp toothpick-like sticks all over it.
After that, we went to the "sportsman station" that had a taxidermied fox, zebra, turkey, bear, pheasant, deer and moose. Faith asked a TON of "why" questions there to me as Jen took Gracie to the bathroom and I kept the other four kiddos.
From there, we headed to the food tent to eat lunch. I ran into Shawn's cousin Randy, his wife Rhonda and daughter Liz. We got soft pretzels, pizza, french fries, funnel cake and a drink. It was delicious, but the ground was soooo muddy. Jen's girlies wanted to ride the rides that weren't operating yet.
From there, we went to see the animals. There were tons of cows, sheep, goats and pigs. We also saw two llamas, baby piglets, baby ducks, and baby bunnies that were for sale for $5 each. Man did that place S-T-I-N-K! Wow! But the kids loved it! Faith almost got kissed by a cow when she got a little close, and one cow decided to pee right in front of the girls who yelled YUCK! We dodged droppings and kept on going to where the girls could pet some of the animals. They also had hand sanitizer there, which was nice. When Joshua went to pet the cow, he all but stuck his finger up the cow's nostril. To that, I said YUCK!
We decided to call it a day when the kids got tired, mine especially. Emma fell asleep on the ride home, and Joshua napped right after we got back. Thanks for going along Jen, Grace, Faith, Emma & Daniel. And thanks for the idea, Kristen & Elliott! Hopefully we can join you guys next time. Well, I should run. Mom invited us over for dinner tonight - ham balls, YUM!

No comments: