Friday, August 31, 2007

The Last Day of August

If there's anything you wanted to get done by August 2007, today's your day! Joshua & I have had a pretty lazy morning. He woke up with Daddy getting up, and I fed him some of his bottle, some rice cereal and some fruit. He ate like a champ! From then on, we've played until he just started getting a little fussy, signaling to me that it's time for his morning nap - 10 a.m. sharp! I've been working on getting him into more of a routine, along with Daddy's help for bedtime. We've been giving him a bath, putting him into PJ's, giving him a bottle, brushing his teeth and then putting him in bed at the same time every night. I think we should add a song or story in there, but we've seen improvements in Joshua's willingness to go to bed. He woke up for a couple of seconds last night, but not long so I didn't go in.

This morning his little mind was amazing me. For example, he wasn't taking much of his bottle so I laid it on the froggy chair thinking that maybe he wanted to play and then we'd come back to it in a few minutes after he explored the playroom. (He loves to play with the bottle and dump milk on the floor, so I have to put it up.) Well, this morning, he went to the froggy chair where he couldn't quite reach the bottle and simply tipped the chair over so the bottle would come crashing down into his hands. While I wasn't thrilled that he got his bottle to make a mess (I'd be okay with him grabbing it to eat, but that was not his goal), I found it amusing that he figured out how to get it.

Later on, he was playing with a toy that he can pull apart, but he was never able to get it back together. This morning he went to put it together and was going to pinch his fingers. He put it down for a minute, looked at it, then placed his hands differently on it so he could put it together without pinching any of his fingers. Hooray! Another thing that amused me was that I put a frog stuffed animal on top of his head, acting like it hopped up there. It of course fell, but Joshua thought it was so funny that he grabbed it and tried to balance it on his head. Now, these are things we all know how to do, but it's interesting to see his wheels spinning as he learns new things. He can play with his dinosaur toy and other toys we've bought for him that he couldn't figure out before. I see him growing not only physically but mentally.

No comments: