Monday, August 27, 2007

The First Day of School

Today is a sad day, my friends. It marks the first day of going back to school for students & teachers alike. Joshua is very sad, but mostly because he managed to pinch his finger in the filing cabinet. He's climbed up there before, but he never managed to get it open until last night when Daddy was hanging out with friends picking his fantasy football team. I didn't realize the filing cabinet was unlocked at that moment. Poor Bean! His little pointer finger is red & the skin is ripped off in the back. I tried putting a band-aid on it, but he chewed it right off. So, instead of waving his middle finger around, now he's waving his pointer finger. This is not really the way I wanted him to learn how to point... It did give me the idea to sing to him "This little light of mine, I'm gonna' let it shine" and he laughed everytime I sang "Don't let Satan (blshbh) it out, I'm gonna' let it shine." He is soooo cute! He keeps trying to tell me something forcefully, but I can't tell what it is. The more I say that I can't understand him, the more he repeats it only louder. I still have no clue. It begins with a "d" sound and then he waves his finger around like mad. Poor little one! Today he said "all done" again after lunch. It's the first time I'd heard him say it since he said it the first time.

Shawn sent me a little card to wish me luck my first day of school. He's so sweet! I don't know why I get nervous for the first day. I have a pretty good idea what to expect. But, such is life. Nonie is coming to watch Joshua while I head to Millersville, and then we're going out to eat with Grandma Good after class is over. We haven't seen her in awhile, and we're looking forward to it! We went to Uncle Jim's birthday party on Saturday, but she wasn't there. It was nice to see everyone, but Joshua was a little fussy. I think he didn't want to be held so much - he's now on the go and wants to explore. However, we were afraid that he would spit up on their carpet, etc. so we were trying to keep him somewhat confined. Meanwhile, he did great the whole night and I slopped a little of his food on my pants and Shawn knocked over a soda. We giggled at worrying about him and then us being the messy ones.

Saturday morning I went shopping with Mom while Shawn & Joshua spent time with Jamie. Mom definitely needed to get out of the house, and I needed a few things to feel comfortable at school. We went back Sunday afternoon to help out where we could and took Jamie & Joshua for a walk in their neighborhood. We also got a letter this weekend telling us our house appraised for the exact amount it had to, so we qualify for the program to get our house renovated. I can't wait! Praise God!

People have wondered how I was doing after my fall down the stairs - I'm truly okay. I'm bumped and bruised but no serious damage, other than this overwhelming fear now when I get close to steps. I'll have to keep turning that over to God. We're also still praying that Joshua gets over his reflux. Since he wasn't eating, we decided to hold off on giving him Prevacid for a few days. His appetite is a little better, but he still is throwing up (on or off of it). So, we figure it's probably worth holding off on giving him the medicine until we consult with the doctor. I called Dr. Devenyi's office today only to find that he's on vacation this week. So, we'll wait to hear from him. I'm not anxious to have Joshua sedated for them to look at his esophagus through a microscope. He was doing better on Zantac, and they haven't even tested him for food allergies. I don't want to keep putting him through all this unless I feel that we've exhausted other possibilities that are less invasive. I want whats best for him, but I also want to be his advocate in asking what are other options to help him. Lord, please heal him so he doesn't have to go through any more of this!

Well, I need to finish getting ready and heading to Millersville. Wish me luck!

No comments: