Saturday, December 2, 2006

An Extremely Painful Morning

We came down from our room upstairs in the hospital to a very upset son. He's grunting, making as loud a cry as he possibly can every once in awhile (which is short-lived since it's painful), and high blood pressure and shortness of breath. Basically, these are all signs that he is in severe pain. We asked what they were going to do, and after waiting for what felt like an eternity, they called the pain management team. They took 45 minutes to get there, and once they were there, they decided to take out his epidural (since it was put in through his bottom and he had gone to the bathroom) and just order some more pain medicine. I asked how long that would take, and they said they put the order in right away. Another 45 minutes went by, and our nurses called to see what was going on. Here, we needed to sign a consent, which they said never happens, but a new lab person was on. So, after signing the consent we waited another 45 minutes and it still hadn't arrived. When they called the pharmacist, they were told that they were 'busy.' I think the nurses could tell I was about to go ape because they finally called the nurse practitioner to see if they could give him a small dose of morphine. We were told that that would take 20 minutes to kick in after they gave it to them. I literally had to leave the room. It had been hours since our son, writhing in pain, had been given ANYTHING!!! Everything in me wants to find out who's in charge and make sure Joshua becomes the priority, but Shawn said no. I keep reminding myself I have to submit to his authority as my husband even though I'm so angry I could scream. Shawn agrees that the system has been poor today, but he thinks it's a glitch and he wants to make sure the nurses still want to care for our son. Please pray that Joshua is not in pain anymore. With the completely incompetent team working today (we've been told they are short-staffed on the weekend), God is really the only one who can help him anyway. And, pray that I don't let the staff have it; I would like to keep a Christian witness in the midst of my severe aggravation. I just love Joshua so much, I don't want to see him in pain. And, we were told that the babies who heal the best are the ones who have controlled pain management because they are not afraid to breathe and expand their lungs. Pray that he does better and that they remove the chest tube today! Thanks to all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Val! That is torture to watch your child go through pain! You just want to take it for him don't you? I'll pray that God works everything out so he gets the best care he can.
God be with you!
Cheryl

kewlf said...

Thank you for sharing your blog with us.

I pray that by now they have Joshua in a lot less pain. He is such a beautiful child and is blessed to have you and Shawn as his parents.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers continue...God knows what you are going through and He is definitely there with you.
Joshua will be home soon!
Love, Suz

Anonymous said...

Praying that all will be touched by our Lord and peace and healing come quickly. Aunt Loretta