Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy 71-month birthday, Joshua!

I can't believe this is the last month Joshua will ever be five. After all, I have distinct memories from his age! And, he has an amazing memory.

In fact, the other day he asked me when he could go to the babysitter's house again. I said probably never, and he asked when our small group was coming over for a "toenail cutting party" so that he could go back there. It's true - before Ryan was even born we had our small group over and told the boys that anyone who came to interrupt would get their toenails cut (something they hate!). Miranda offered to walk them to her house for a little to give them a change of scenery, and Joshua remembers! Craziness!
Joshua is a sweet kiddo. The other day, Caleb accidentally dropped the snow globe he made at Vacation Bible School.Caleb loved his little craft and was devastated his broke. Joshua - without any prompting from me whatsoever - immediately looked at Caleb's crushed face and said "Here, Caleb, you can have mine since yours broke." I thought it was the absolute nicest gesture I'd ever seen. His little brother lit up at the kindness of his older brother taking care of him. It was one of those moments where I stopped to soak in the time with the kids and how well they get along. What a neat kid, I thought to myself.

Joshua also is very nice to the baby. He loves to make him laugh, and he's a good helper with him too. If he sees Ryan heading toward the steps, he jumps in his way and tries to distract him. I love to hear Ryan giggle at his silly big brother!

Joshua is reading better and better. He's also spelling better, too. I asked Shawn about possibly S-W-I-M-M-I-N-G at the G-Y-M and Joshua said "Are you saying we might go swimming at Universal?" I told him it's not fair that he can spell now and I can't discuss anything within his earshot. He just giggled. ;-)
My boy is getting bigger, too. We went back-to-school shopping for him, and Mamaw picked up a pair of size 6 jeans for him. I told her I thought they may be too big, but we'd see. She said "They don't look too big to me." He is obviously growing! He definitely needs the length that a 6 offers even though they are a little big in the waste even with them adjusted the whole way in.

Joshua is relatively outgoing and great at making new friends. He's always saying bye to someone new at the gym, and he's learning names, too. I love that he feel comfortable striking up a conversation with almost anyone. And I love that he'll answer an adult pretty clearly when they ask him something. We tried a new church recently, and everyone we said good morning to asked him his name. He said "I'm Joshua" loud and clear, and he would also tell them his age, etc. when asked. He is becoming a young man!

I also love to hear Joshua re-tell a Bible story and hear his heart for God. What it speaks to me as a mom, he will never know until he has his own babies. But, the other day we were talking and he said "well, we'll have to ask God because He's the One in control." It was such a small and yet profound statement. He. Gets. It. There's much more to learn, but his childlike faith speaks volumes to me!

My little man is very excited for kindergarten to start. I'm glad, even though I'm sad he'll be gone five days a week. But, as he always reminds me, "at least I'll come home afterward." Yes, that's all I can ask for!

I love my sweet little Bean so very much! Happy 71-month birthday, Joshua!

No comments: