Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hamballs, Piggies and Everything In Between!

The pictures from this post were taken the weekend of March 19-20. We haven't seen much nice weather since. But, we've had some fun times even if I didn't take pictures. Today, Joshua & I were talking about dates and months. He's doing well with the days of the week (with the song sung to the tune of the Adam's Family), but I didn't realize that he's also comprehending months to some degree. He told me that we're coming to the end of March and soon it will be April. He asked which month is next, and I reminded him that it was May. Then he said "the next month starts with a J - what is it?" I wasn't sure if he didn't remember or if he was testing me (which he likes to play teacher or mommy at times), so I answered "June." He said "Yes, he comes with Miss Julie & Kate." Haaaa!!! That's your friend, Jude, not June. ;-)
I loved the picture above of Joshua kicking the ball to Daddy from our driveway. (In the first picture you'll see our new gray minivan parked out on the street so the kids had maximum driveway space to play.) We've been playing a lot of indoor games these days. The boys still love their Dominoes and Memory. It surprises me how good their Memory is at times. When I turned over the pig's character, whose name is "Ham" on the movie, I said "Hamball! Not a match!" The kids thought this was hysterical. They laughed and laughed and called everything by its name with a ball at the end "Buzz-ball! Rex-ball! Woody-ball!" and they'd laugh some more. I didn't really think about the fact that they didn't realize ham balls were a type of food. They continued this game the rest of the day, adding ball to the end of many expressions. Then it started with "nose-ball, arm-ball, knee-ball, eye ball." This one made me crack up. An eye ball is very normal and not hysterical like they were making it to be. Likewise, when they came to football, they were still cracking up at their silliness while I cracked a smile at the very normal word. They did the same with their food and then said "cheese ball" along with their bread ball and cracker ball, etc. Oh, my silly boys! Now when we play Memory, all the characters still have ball at the end with much laughter.
Speaking of balls, Joshua is trying to head butt the ball in the above picture, and he did a great job of making contact! Another game that the boys have been loving is Hide & Seek. They take turns counting and then after 10 they shout "ready or not, here I come." It's kind of amusing to watch because they always jump out from their hiding spots upon hearing the expression that they're being looked for. They shout with glee that they're "right here" and it starts all over again. Daddy & I barely have to move while playing this game if we're not the ones hiding. :) :) :)
I've been trying some new recipes lately since I feel like I'm always making the same old things. Two new dishes I made were "Chickenetti" and "Yumisetti" from my crock pot recipe book. Both of them turned out scrumptiously. I also made "cheeseburger roll-ups" that my friend Renee had emailed me. They were so good that I decided to make them again when we hosted life group this past weekend. Everyone thought they were amazing as well, it seemed.
With hosting life group, this past weekend was spent doing some spring cleaning and organizing, etc. Most of it wouldn't be noticed by the average person, but it was a good excuse for us to get things done. For example, I put all the shoes away that Caleb had outgrown and organized them by size. Shawn organized our back porch where toys have been accumulating, etc. I clipped the flowers in the pots on our front window sill and threw the dead ones away. We were glad to get some things on our "to do list" crossed off. While life group was at our house, we asked Miranda to watch the boys since my mom was sick (and she had originally agreed to have them at her house). They stayed upstairs for awhile, and then Miranda put their coats on them and they walked to her house. They seemed to have fun playing with her little sister. I wasn't too sure about them going to another house since we don't know her parents well, but they did fine and she brought them home right on time.
The following night (Monday, March 28) we had our friends the Buckwalter's over for dinner. Kyler is right in between Joshua & Caleb age-wise, and he seems to enjoy playing with our boys. They all had a blast with the dinosaurs, trains, balls, cars, doodle pros, etc. We also like Seth & Karisten a lot, as we have a lot in common with them. They are very nice, devout believers, and in our same life stage. It was a fun night.
Caleb picked out the "Sleepyhead" book before bed the other night, which was one of our favorites that we hadn't read in awhile. Daddy said "oh, I like this book!" Me, too. We've read it several times. Caleb has been our "sleepyhead" lately as he asks for one more snuggle, one more comfy cozy cuddle, one more book read just right, one more gaze upon the night, one more drink, one more kiss, one more hug, etc. and then eventually passes out in the middle of it all. The book is super sweet, just like our little boys.
I'll end this post with a story from this evening. I made roast beef in the crock pot for dinner with brown butter noodles and veggie. When I told Joshua that we were eating roast beef, he pointed to his middle toe and said "is that for this piggy?" Shawn & I both cracked up. No, it's for eating. Neither boy touched the meat (even though Daddy & I thought it was wonderful) but they both had several servings of noodles and veggies, much to our surprise. Joshua was so proud that he cleaned his plate. I guess roast beef brings out the piggy in all of us... or something! Hope you enjoy the pictures - Joshua is learning to ride his new Toy Story bike he got for Christmas while Caleb is learning to ride on Joshua's old Thomas bike. Fun!

No comments: