Sunday, May 18, 2008

Happy 20 Month Birthday, Joshua!

I can't believe my baby turned 20 months old today, drawing oh-so-near to that 2-year-old mark. I see him growing by the moment, which is good in many ways and just a little sad in others as my tiny 3 pounder is becoming a distant memory. His appointment with Dr. Devenyi this past Monday revealed he's now over 25 lbs. Hooray!
Joshua has been doing some really cute new things lately. He mimicks us all the time, which is adorable. He picked up his 'hush' puppy the other day and gave it a hug, and we both said "awww!" to which he said "awww!" right back. Now, everytime he picks up his puppy and gives it a hug, he says "awwww!" at how cute he is.
The other day Daddy was yawning and then I did too. Joshua jumped right in with a very loud, fake yawn that cracked us both up.
Today was one of the first "successful" lessons on using silverware. I'm at a loss on how to best show him, but today during breakfast he let me hold his hand while he had the fork in it and I helped him stab his waffle. Every time he got food on the fork and he got it to his mouth, I clapped for him and he put down his fork to clap for himself. We tried it again, then. He ate an entire blueberry waffle doing this, as he was interested in learning today. Most days he's too anxious to do it himself and gets frustrated when he can't get the food on the utensil or it falls off before going into his mouth. I was so proud of him for trying today!
He was not so interested, though, in being sat on the potty seat a little while ago. The pediatrician said if he didn't care for it the first time to wait a week or so and try again to slowly introduce him to the concept and not scare him. I took pictures of him with his first round of trying for the memories, but those are just for our family. :)Joshua is also learning new words by the minute. I'm trying to encourage him to use his words rather than whine or throw fits. It's difficult being a little guy and trying to communicate! One of my favorites that he says is 'no' if I ask him if he'd like another drink or more of something. It's a sweet, gentle "no" as he shakes his head. And, it lets me know what he's thinking. He also says yes, sure or okay to questions, as I've said before. I LOVE when he talks in general. That voice is music to my ears.He's also learning more of his body parts. He loves to show off his belly, and he'll grab his ears when you ask where his "wiggle wiggles" are. I started telling him that his ears go "wiggle wiggle" because he kept confusing them with his eyes. Now, he enjoys showing us both. He knows eyes, nose, lips, teeth, head, belly, hands and toes well. We were working on learning his arms recently, too.He's getting better with animal sounds, too. Today he was meow-ing, which was just adorable to listen to. He doesn't always do these things on cue, but he'll entertain you with his knowledge on his terms when he's interested. I'm learning that it's me that has to be patient and understand that he doesn't always want to show you how much he knows just because I ask on demand.

He's liking his shape sorters, too, and will put shapes in the right places with help. I'm always interested in what he enjoys as he grows and develops...what a big boy my little Bean has become! I love him dearly!!! And so does his precious Dada!

No comments: