Friday, November 9, 2007

Thankful

Psalm 69:30 I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.

As we near Thanksgiving Day, a holiday started by Pilgrims who feasted and thanked God after their first harvest, I'd like to take a moment and reflect on things I'm particularly thankful for this year. Afterall, Thanksgiving is more than just turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing; more than Macy's parades, a day off work, and the start to Christmas shopping; and even more than just a day to celebrate with family and friends. It's a time to thank God for all He is and all He has done for us and given us, both in a spiritual sense and a physical sense.

This morning I woke up and thanked God for my health. It truly is a miracle that all these organs work together, that oxygen circulates to where it needs to go and the blood is pumped to each individual inch that needs it. After taking a bio-med class and learning about all the muscles, organs, bones, etc. in the body I had a renewed appreciation for God's craftmanship. Hearing Joshua wheez makes me not take for granted that each time I breath in, my lungs fill with a full breath of air. When I think of folks like Jamie and a man at Shawn's work who was just diagnosed with life-threatening cancer, I thank God that I am looking forward to a future of health and hope. I am grateful that I am able to walk and have both my arms and hands to use.

I also don't take for granted that I have all five senses: 1) I can see without glasses or contacts, 2) I can hear out of both ears, and music is a big part of my life, 3) I can taste the deliciousness of each meal, 4) I can smell which helps me know when to change Joshua or if there would be a fire or appreciate the crockpot, etc. and 5) I can touch, which is part of my love language. I've also read about kids who can't feel anything and so they don't know when they get hurt. One little girl blinded herself because she didn't feel the pain when she stuck something sharp into her eye. I'm grateful for all five of my senses and that they work.

I'm glad that I don't have a headache, don't feel like I need to throw up, don't have a congested head, and don't have any broken bones or weird illnesses. I praise and thank God for giving me health today.

No comments: