Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Last Days on Earth...

***Update from Mom's Online Journal:

A quick update: Mike, the LPN who usually takes care of Jamie, was here giving him a shave and a bath. He noticed Jamie grimacing when they were done; I saw it, too. He went over to him and asked him to answer him by shaking his head yes or no. Are you having pain? nodded--yes. Does your head hurt? nodded--yes. He called and spoke with an RN. Then he gave Jamie a dose of tylenol and told me to ask him if he has pain at 1:00. If so, they have ordered a very small dose of liquid morphine that I am to give him (2 drops), wait 30 minutes, if pain give 2 drops, wait 30 minutes if pain 2 more drops and call the RN. Mike explained the swelling and/or the tumor puts pressure on the brain; since one's head is enclosed, there is no way to relieve the pressure and it can cause great pain. He has worked with Jamie long enough that he could read his expression, and I totally agreed. Thank God for hospice nurses! I had also thanked Mike for getting Jamie in the shower on Monday and told him how much he enjoyed that. I got a little teary and so did Mike; he had to wipe his eyes. He has great compassion. ***

The nurses think Jamie's seizures are not a result of medicine decrease but are from the tumor itself. When Joshua & I went over yesterday, Jamie couldn't talk or respond, was foaming at the mouth and snoring whether he was awake or not. He also threw up, which Hospice said is related to the seizures. He's running a fever, too, which they think is caused by the tumor. One of my mom's friends is an RN who told her that Jamie will probably not be with us for more than a week or two. No one knows for sure, but Hospice gave mom paperwork on what to expect during his final moments and asked if she wanted to have him moved to the inpatient facility, something they haven't asked before this since it's reserved for those in their final moments.

He had been thriving, and mom said about what a nice fall they had. With the warmer temperatures, they were able to get outside and go for walks, etc. He had been out of the house at a ball game, at Joshua's party, at church a few times, out to dinner with both of my sisters, at Mike & Bonnie's for dinner and at Jen's house the night of his seizures. Mom & Jamie had gone for rides and even went out to lunch with Aunt Loretta. He had gained back some of his weight, was able to communicate, and said he felt good, etc. Now he can barely swallow...these are sad days. While I think this is hard for my mom, she's handling everything with grace and told me about this Psalm the Lord gave her this morning:

Psalm 116
1 I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;

he heard my cry for mercy.

2 Because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.

3 The cords of death entangled me,
the anguish of the grave [a] came upon me;
I was overcome by trouble and sorrow.

4 Then I called on the name of the LORD :
"O LORD, save me!"

5 The LORD is gracious and righteous;
our God is full of compassion.

6 The LORD protects the simplehearted;
when I was in great need, he saved me.

7 Be at rest once more, O my soul,
for the LORD has been good to you.

8 For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling,

9 that I may walk before the LORD
in the land of the living.

10 I believed; therefore [b] I said,
"I am greatly afflicted."

11 And in my dismay I said,
"All men are liars."

12 How can I repay the LORD
for all his goodness to me?

13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD.

14 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people.

15 Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his saints.

16 O LORD, truly I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your maidservant [c] ;
you have freed me from my chains.

17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you
and call on the name of the LORD.

18 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people,

19 in the courts of the house of the LORD—
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the LORD. [d]

1 comment:

Julie Garner said...

After watching our loved one's suffer, I think it is easier to see God's hand of mercy in final moments and days. I hope that your mom and Jamie (and your/his whole family) continue to experience God's comfort and grace. Hospice is amazing and I'm glad they are there with and for your mom. Please keep us posted.

I'm so sorry!
Love ya!
Julie