Monday, June 18, 2012

Oregon Dairy Farm Days

On Thursday, June 14, we had gotten together with friends in the morning (which I had already posted about). We had all commented about how we wished we would have made time for the Oregon Dairy Farm days. The only year I'd missed since Joshua was a baby was 2011 - since Ryan had just been born the week before. But, it looked like this year might not work for us. That afternoon after we ate lunch, I had to drop off the laptop at F&M for Etown since my class was done, and Grandpa Georgia had ridden along so the kids could stay in the minivan with him while I did a 2-second drop. When we were on our way back, I had said about missing the farm days and my phone rang. On the other end of the line (which with my blue tooth came through audibly so the whole car could hear) was my sister Becky, asking if we'd like to go to Oregon Dairy with her for ice cream. How funny was that timing? She had no idea that farm days were going on or even what they were, but I told her about them and said "Let's go!" She asked if she could invite Daniel, too, for his birthday, and I said sure. She picked him up on the way to our house and then we all rode together over to the event. Grandpa had errands to run himself, so he declined the invitation to come along.
We arrived later in the afternoon, so it wasn't as crowded as some years that I've gone first thing in the morning. We got right in line for the tractor ride down to the farm and got on the first tractor. I was particularly grateful this year for the helpers who helped lift the stroller onto the wagon! Bless you! It is SO much easier with three kids to have the little one in the stroller and the two big brothers holding onto the sides with me.
As we went on the wagon ride, we drove through the cow milking barn as we heard all about Oregon Dairy and all the things they do on this farm and offer to the public. The cow barn STINKS (as you can imagine). But, when we got off the wagon ride, Joshua said "Wasn't that SO neat?!?!" This was the free ride, and he was thrilled. Aunt Becky laughed, and I said that I'm glad he appreciates even the little things in life and she agreed. Kids are FUN!
After the kids sat down to watch a puppet show for a few minutes, we decided to do some of the rides they wanted to first. Barrel rides were $2 each, and they love them! They got right on!



After the barrel ride, we went into one of the tents to explore. The boys could have stayed all day at the corn table, I think. We let them play quite awhile and then we decided to keep moving to see what else there was there. This year they had more organized events, I think, and I thought the whole thing was the best year so far!







After the corn table, the boys went through a hay tunnel maze. I told Becky about losing Caleb at Calvary's harvest fair when he went through a similar tunnel. I also told her I'm extremely claustrophobic and would NOT go in after them if any of them got stuck. But, she insisted that if they stick together, they should do fine and she was right. They all went through three times before we suggested that we explore other areas. They all agreed that this was one of the best parts of the event.
Next, they each got to hold a baby chick. They were so soft and cuddly! I felt a little bad for them getting tossed around by all these kids.

Unfortunately, we had an appointment to get to that evening, so we couldn't stay all night. We knew that we had to pick and choose what to end our time there with. So, with the boys begging to do the pony rides, we went there next. They were $3 each, and the boys highly enjoyed them!
Weren't their helmets/hats so adorable? I specifically asked Caleb to wear this riding one. The older boys picked out their own. And sweet little Ryan Josiah was absolutely fantastic for being in the stroller this whole time. We were all enjoying the outdoors and the beautiful day!
After the pony rides, we went into the tent with samples. There was free popcorn, free chocolate milk in little dixie cups and free one scoop ice cream cone samples. Becky asked us if we wanted to go for ice cream (our original plan) at the ice cream shop there and play at the playground, but we had to go. And the free samples were good enough for that day. I suggested we come back another time for an ice cream play date, and she agreed that that was a great idea.
The boys enjoyed spending time with their cousin Daniel again, and I was glad we had gotten to the farm days event at least for a little while. Next year I will add it on my "to-do" list so we can do more of the fun activities. But, for this year, it was a great day! Thanks for calling, Aunt Becky!

No comments: